Science Forums

Strange claims on astronomical jets from big bang thread

Pluto

G'day from the land of ozzzzzz

Magnetic pinches experiments maybe the key to many issues in jet formation and supernova events.

Neutron generation from Z-pinches

May-07

Neutron generation from Z-pinches

Recent advances in both experimental and theoretical studies on neutron generation in various Z-pinch facilities are reviewed. The main methods for enhancing neutron emission from the Z-pinch plasma are described, and the problems of igniting a thermonuclear burn wave in this plasma are discussed.

Neutron production and implosion characteristics of a deuterium gas-puff Z pinch

Feb-07

Neutron production and implosion characteristics of a deuterium gas-puff Z pinch

Experiments on the Z accelerator with deuterium gas puff implosions have produced up to 3.9×1013 (+/-20%) neutrons at 2.34 MeV (+/-0.10 MeV). Experimentally, the mechanism for generating these neutrons has not been definitively identified through isotropy measurements, but activation diagnostics suggest multiple mechanisms may be responsible. One-, two-, and three-dimensional magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) calculations have indicated that thermonuclear outputs from Z could be expected to be in the (0.3-1.0)×1014 range. X-ray diagnostics of plasma conditions, fielded to look at dopant materials in the deuterium, have shown that the stagnated deuterium plasma achieved electron temperatures of 2.2 keV and ion densities of 2×1020 cm-3, in agreement with the MHD calculations.

and

Z-pinch plasma neutron sources

Feb-07

Z-pinch plasma neutron sources

A deuterium gas-puff load imploded by a multi-MA current driver from a large initial diameter could be a powerful source of fusion neutrons, a plasma neutron source (PNS). Unlike the beam-target neutrons produced in Z-pinch plasmas in the 1950s and deuterium-fiber experiments in the 1980s, the neutrons generated in deuterium gas-puffs with current levels achieved in recent experiments on the Z facility at Sandia National Laboratories could contain a substantial fraction of thermonuclear origin. For recent deuterium gas-puff shots on Z, our analytic estimates and one- and two-dimensional simulations predict thermal neutron yields ~3×1013, in fair agreement with the yields recently measured on Z [C. A. Coverdale et al., Phys. Plasmas (to be published)]. It is demonstrated that the hypothesis of a beam-target origin of the observed fusion neutrons implies a very high Z-pinch-driver-to-fast-ions energy transfer efficiency, 5 to 10%, which would make a multi-MA deuterium Z-pinch the most efficient light-ion accelerator. No matter what mechanism is eventually determined to be responsible for generating fusion neutrons in deuterium gas-puff shots on Z, the deuterium neutron yield is shown to scale as Yn~Im4, where Im is the peak current of the pinch. Theoretical estimates and numerical modeling of deuterium gas-puff implosions demonstrate that the yields of thermonuclear fusion neutrons that can be produced on ZR and the next-generation machines are sufficiently high to make PNS the most powerful, cost- and energy-efficient laboratory sources of 2.5-14 MeV fusion neutrons, just like plasma radiation sources are the most powerful sources of soft and keV x rays. In particular, the predicted deuterium-tritium thermal neutron-producing capability of PNS driven by the next-generation ZR and ZX accelerators is ~5×1016 and ~1018, respectively.

and this one

Structure of the dense cores and ablation plasmas in the initiation phase of tungsten wire-array Z pinches

Jan-07

Structure of the dense cores and ablation plasmas in the initiation phase of tun

The early stages of tungsten (W) wire-array Z-pinch implosions have been studied using two-frame point projection x-ray backlighting on the 1 MA COBRA pulsed power generator [J. D. Douglass, J. B. Greenly, D. A. Hammer, and B. R. Kusse, in Proceedings of the 15th IEEE International Pulsed Power Conference, Monterey, 2005 (to be published)]. X-pinch backlighter images with subnanosecond time resolution and 4-10 μm spatial resolution have been obtained of individual W exploding wires in 8-wire arrays that show evolution of wire-core and coronal plasma structures. The timing of the X-pinch x-ray bursts relative to the Z-pinch initiation time was adjusted over a 50 ns time interval by varying the X-pinch mass per unit length. Wire-cores seen in two images separated in view by 120° show that the expansion is remarkably azimuthally symmetric. A strong correlation is observed between the structure on the dense exploding wire-cores and the structure of the >=1018/cm3 ablation plasma being drawn from radial prominences. Plasma ablation velocity was estimated to have a lower bound of 24 km/s. The wire-core expansion rate was found to be approximately constant with time over the interval 50-100 ns after the start of the current pulse. Finally, micron-scale axial gaps, seen as early as 70 ns into the current pulse and persisting from that time, were observed along the wire-core.

I will post the astrophysics related links later.

During a supernova there has to be some mechanism to change to create Neutron at such a fast rate to form a Neutron star in some cases or a compact composite star of some form.

G'day Modest

The papers that I read are recommended, the volumn of the reading is extraordinary.

ArXiv links are ABS, when you go into the link you wil find the full paper pdf file.

The ideas have not been invented by myself.

The Mechanism is the key to the overall workings of the parts within the universe and the origin and evolution of those.

ArXiv links are ABS, when you go into the link you wil find the full paper pdf file.

After clicking on this link:

What do I click on to take me to the PDF?

~modest

Modest,

I found that going to linked page and look near top of the page for the text

"Electronic Refereed Journal Article (HTML)"

will take you a website sponsored by AIP (American Institute of Physics) where you

can buy the pdf which is cited by his link. I think it would be appropriate if Pluto

where to provide the paper (which he can't legally do) or to not mention the paper

citation at all (since he likely didn't read the paper either).

Before his link were going the other server Airxv (I think was the spelling). This server

had the actual paper (whole contents) for free. So his listing the abstract was via since

if I were to be interested, I could go read the paper myself.

I would satisfied if Pluto wishes to use AIP then Pluto would only need reference the

citation itself (Title article, Author(s), Publication, Issue(s)). That is all I would need.

I could then go to a college library and look up the article were it to be interesting

enough. I appreciate Pluto's enthusiasm regarding the subject. What I find annoying

is leading me on to a link where I might the (whole) paper contents only to find I must

pay for it. I will admit AIP must get their due funds. My funds are already allocated to

important things like rent, and stuff like that.

maddog