Science Forums

Is God necessary for society to exist

Moontanman

Which god? the spiritual teacher barry long said that we cant really search for god... he said it was like saying "does x exist"? first you have to define what x is and then you can set out to try to find it.... the problem is ,how do we define god?...and what if i define it one way, and you another? we may go to war to prove who is "right". Maybe society would be better off if we didnt try to define god...with our words, definitions and ideas. we can say that god is not necessary but we shoud be careful... i dont believe in a taditional "god" but i can see a tremendous intelligence at work in this existence... you know, the sun shines, we are at a perfect distance from the sun for life to live here on earth, we have a breathable atmosphere, just enough sun...we have chemical elements in just the right combination so we can breathe... isnt all that amazing... i certainly think so! so maybe the god of the bible and other books isnt necessary, but this amazing intellignce certainly is!

That living is amazing, I won't quibble with. It's a hoot! :) However, you begin with an ontological footing as did Descarte et al in their flaccid "proofs" of God and we have abundant scientific evidence of self-organization at many scales making your conclusion that an intelligence must exist because of complex organizations a fallacy of the non sequitar kind. :dog: :read: Welcome to the menagerie. :hyper: