Science Forums

Need some molecular lab help

Hi there. First post. I was wondering if someone here could steer me in the right direction. For a course I'm taking, I need to write a mini grant proposal. Part of this involves designing and explaining the logic behind a series of experiments. The problem I'm running into is that I don't have much practical lab experience, so even though I know what I want to do, I don't know the techniques or methodology behind them. Well, I've struggled through most of it, but have one part I can't figure out and was wondering if someone could offer a suggestion.

I need to know how you can determine whether a certain gene has a specific binding site in the general vicinity of the promoter. In this case, I need to suggest a way to determine whether there is a Tcf (a transcription factor important in development) receptor near 4 specific genes. I was thinking you could fluorescently tag Tcf, but then I thought, how would I view it. Is that something I would be able to see via fluorescent microscopy? And then the other problem is that Tcf only binds when it has a co-regulator or co-repressor bound to it to form a complex (i.e. Beta catenin or Groucho protein). So is there a way to get Tcf to bind to a receptor (if there is one), while at the same time being able to say categorically that the other part of the complex isn't the part that's bound to the DNA?

Anyway, thanks for reading. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, and it doesn't have to be the most feasible method either. I have a little leeway in that regard. Thanks.

Chris

SR Bio UD