Science Forums

Water pollution

harmonSmith

Water is essential for the survival of all known forms of life. The human body is anywhere from 55% to 78% water depending on body size. To function properly, the body requires between one and seven liters of water per day to avoid dehydration

All known forms of life depend on water. Because of overpopulation, mass consumption, misuse, and water pollution, the availability of drinking water per capita is inadequate and shrinking as of the year 2006.

40% of America's rivers are too polluted for fishing, swimming, or aquatic life.

Even worse are America's lakes—46% are too polluted for fishing, swimming, or aquatic life.

1.2 trillion gallons of untreated sewage, stormwater, and industrial waste are discharged into US waters annually. The US EPA has warned that sewage levels in rivers could be back to the super-polluted levels of the 1970s by the year 2016.

Asian rivers are the most polluted in the world. They have three times as many bacteria from human waste as the global average and 20 times more lead than rivers in industrialized countries

Serious water pollution incidents increased by 50% in England and Wales last year with farmers responsible for more than a quarter of them, the Environment Agency says.

I made this Thread to increase knowledge about water pollution such as industrial water pollution and to share thoughts about how to prevent it.

I have some ideas. I think the biggest source of water pollution is Industries. Who are releasing large amount of hazardous waste into our water resources. In order to do proper treatment of this waste water consultant like JNB must be contacted. About the waste that are producing through our daily usage. I think ordinary peoples and not a selfish as our bureaucrats. We can control it by spreading knowledge about it. Agriculture pollution is also a major problem. By using proper methods we can control it. Imagine a world for our future generations if it continues. I agree things are better in USA or other European countries but In Asian countries it is worst and since countries is in this world we should also consider them. We are the one who are responsible for destroying our world and we have to make it better

I wrote this before your second post, and I agree Industrial pollution is a very big problem too, but I hope it can be worked into the waste/recycling aspect mentioned below:

===

Seems as if we might realize our greatest economic return from any strategy, by focusing on a modest strategy requiring minimal investment. A strategy of agricultural reform would address many of today's problems simultaneously.

Your point that agricultural effects were "...responsible for more than a quarter of... ...erious water pollution incidents..." reminds me that by changing Ag. policy, we could have dramatic positive effects on not only water pollution, but also on waste disposal/recycling, greenhouse gas emissions & ocean acidification, health and nutritional status of the population, economic and national security considerations relating to oil, immigration considerations, and changing Ag. policy could also become a focal point for education reform and enhancement.

Business and social networks could also benefit from an Ag. focus in education.

In the end it's food AND water that are tied together as the fundamental need in sustainability...

...and that are the reason to maintain a stable climate...

...and that have strong effects relating to so many other problem areas.

===

p.s. What's JNB? Got a couple of quotes to give the flavor?

...and welcome to HypOg!

~ ;)

I agree with you. Many laws have been created to restrict industries from dumping materials into the water for water pollution solutions. However, many laws remain weak, and many countries do not restrict water pollution.

In the United States, the Clean Water Act was written to completely put an end to all dumping of pollutants into water. The law has not been that effective in many areas, but in other locations, it has achieved its goals.

Public reaction to the water pollution problem has also been influential. Governments have responded when public anger has risen, such as after the Exxon Valdez accident.