Science Forums

My Belief In Global Systemics Is Rock Solid

Turtle

My belief in global systemics is rock solid. "Nothing is not connected", is how I have put it for the last few years. Let's start with Hot, Flat & Crowded, as it prompted this thread. I saw Tom Friedman last night on Letterman, and then a full hour of him today on Charlie Rose (a replay from last night). Glad to make this fella's acquaintance. :turtle:

A conversation with Thomas L. Friedman - Charlie Rose

My belief in global systemics is rock solid. "Nothing is not connected", is how I have put it for the last few years. Let's start with Hot, Flat & Crowded, as it prompted this thread. I saw Tom Friedman last night on Letterman, and then a full hour of him today on Charlie Rose (a replay from last night). Glad to make this fella's acquaintance. :confused:

A conversation with Thomas L. Friedman - Charlie Rose

Yes I caught both of those too.

Poor Charlie; he never got more that a few words in edgewise.

But Tom carried the whole hour just great.

I immediately bought his book (via Kindle) and challenged my sister to read it (in exchange I'll read any book she chooses for me).

I haven't heard back yet....

Wasn't it Tom who relayed the sentiment that:

If we want things to stay the same around here, we're gonna have to change some things around here.

Cheers!!

"Nothing is not connected"

I agree with that completely. If something matters to anything at all then it must necessarily be connected to it in some way, otherwise it wouldn't matter. And if something doesn't matter then we're not even discussing it, we might as well call this thing that doesn't matter "nothing". It it matters then it's something, if it's nothing then it doesn't matter.

Yes I caught both of those too.

Poor Charlie; he never got more that a few words in edgewise. ...

:D Maybe, but we know Charlie is really in control, and I've noticed he seems to take a certain pleasure in letting people roll with their creative enthusiasm.

Wasn't it Tom who relayed the sentiment that:

If we want things to stay the same around here, we're gonna have to change some things around here.

Cheers!!

I don't rcall, but I liked his "invent baby invent" zinger. :hihi:

I agree with that [nothing is not connected] completely. If something matters to anything at all then it must necessarily be connected to it in some way, otherwise it wouldn't matter. And if something doesn't matter then we're not even discussing it, we might as well call this thing that doesn't matter "nothing". It it matters then it's something, if it's nothing then it doesn't matter.

That is a systemic situation you paint, but as luck has it (good or bad luck, ya gotta judge yourself.:hihi:) I have just started a study of Fuller's Synergetics and those "somethings" & "nothings" you mention he exquisitely, explicitly, and exhaustively defines and applies to a geometry of thinking.

As I have got through about 40 pages only, it is already shading my perceptions. I am a generalist so I'm comfy with Bucky, but I have adopted the square bias of specifics like most of us. I'm going to be in the shop refitting for a few months at least. The shop is over here: >> Synergetics

I put it in math/physics, but it well as could go in philosophy or environmental or social science, or... . It is self similar; a generalization of genralizations. My belief in global systemics is getting rock solider by the day. :earth: :eek: