Science Forums

The Human Brain from birth to death and beyond?

Michaelangelica

The Buman Brain from birth to death and beyond?

I know I should not have added 'beyond' but no sillyness is not allowed.:)

I know HB has a thread on the brain but he seems to have a different agenda.

If you think not; then combine the threads.

(I might also make amednds with those I have offended on the what was it, aging something, older people are dumb, less thing whatsit thread)

This, I thought a very interesting article, especially given the recent worry with adolescents smoking or ingesting MJ and alcohol just to get 'pissed' or 'off their face'.

Perhaps you could print of this article and give it too them?

Australian research has shown that honesty rather than scare (because parents are scared?) tactics is the best way to go with reducing drug use.

Teens are also bombarded by information in this electronic age, and multitasking is as routine as chatting with friends on line. But Jensen highlights a recent study showing how sensory overload can hinder undergraduates’ ability to recall words. “It’s truly a brave new world. Our brains, evolutionarily, have never been subjected to the amount of cognitive input that’s coming at us,” she says. “You can’t close down the world. All you can do is educate kids to help them manage this.” For his part, Urion believes programs aimed at preventing risky adolescent behaviors would be more effective if they offered practical strategies for making in-the-moment decisions, rather than merely lecturing teens about the behaviors themselves. (“I have yet to meet a pregnant teenager who didn’t know biologically how this transpired,” he says.)

The Teen Brain**(September-October*2008)

Moderator please fix title before I am shamed before all hypography It was a heavy night.