Science Forums

Streaming audio/video repeatedly pausing in firefox

Hey,

I consider myself to be quite internet/computer savvy for someone who is code/networking illiterate, and I usually don't have a hard time figuring out how to adjust my browser/OS settings, or troubleshooting my own simple HW/SW problems. For reference, I use windows 2000.

As of yesterday, or perhaps the day before, my audio and video streams(online) continually pause themselves after 2-5 seconds in firefox. I understand how buffering works, and this is not buffering. The video will be loaded/buffered, and it will still insist on pausing itself after a few seconds of play. This goes for online radio, youtube, googlevideo; anything at all streaming.

I also just noticed that my streaming works in Internet Explorer, so this must be an issue with just firefox. Any help would be appreciated.

For reference, I use windows 2000.

You are a very brave person! :)

As of yesterday, or perhaps the day before, my audio and video streams(online) continually pause themselves after 2-5 seconds in firefox. I understand how buffering works, and this is not buffering. The video will be loaded/buffered, and it will still insist on pausing itself after a few seconds of play. This goes for online radio, youtube, googlevideo; anything at all streaming.

I also just noticed that my streaming works in Internet Explorer, so this must be an issue with just firefox. Any help would be appreciated.

What version of FF are you running?

Have you reset / reinstalled firefox?

~modest

Aha, I just restarted and that fixed it. Apparently I had previously DL'd but not installed an upgraded version of firefox, and due to a bad habit of keeping 30+ tabs and not wanting to restart, the upgrade was still waiting to be installed and was somehow screwing up my streaming capabilities.

btw, thanks for the quick responses to both of you.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.15) Gecko/20080623 Firefox/2.0.0.15

This one^^^^

I recommend doing a simple update to v3.0.1

It's a bit different, but I'm liking it so far and it solved a few problems I was having. :)

EDIT: I didn't see your post before I posted. Nonetheless, I recommend FF3!