Science Forums

Ontological proof of god

fusion

The Ontological proof is...

that If you first imagine the greatest being above all else

But it is greater to be real than a thought,

Then by thinking of the greatest being it must be real, for it to be the greatest it must exist.

But if a person does not think god is the greatest or highest being does not exist.

The Ontological proof of god id based on what is god percieved as.

This proof could'nt be easily applied to greek mythological gods as only one could be the supreme god and exist, and all lower gods be thoughts ;)

What is the greatest thing imaginable in the first place? Is this even defined? And why on Earth would something exist just because it's greater than what is the greatest imaginable? This leaves god undefined as well. This is probably even worse than Pascal's wager. And, as you say, this applies only to gods that we can't imagine - which of course, ironically, makes the religion it is trying to justify, all wrong. Aren't the different religions trying to describe god and his/her actions? How could anyone possibly do that if the god can't be imagined in the first place?

Another problem in the Ontological proof is that whether a trhought or a real thing is greater.

Acording to descartes "I post there for I am" ;)

As our thoughts prove our exiistance but we create our thoughts, thus making them slightly inferior materialy a real object.

Does it have to be defined, does it have to have actions could just be the highest being?

It has to exist, if nothing else. Also, if the greatest thing imaginable is not defined, then how do we know when something is greater?

Another problem in the Ontological proof is that whether a trhought or a real thing is greater.

Acording to descartes "I post there for I am" ;)

As our thoughts prove our exiistance but we create our thoughts, thus making them slightly inferior materialy a real object.

Material stuff is everywhere, while thoughts are much more rare... Interesting, isn't it?

Also, what if our brainpower becomes such that we one day can imagine what we can't imagine now?

Well which is greater Us or our thoughts. Our exixtence can be "prooved" by the fact that we think induvidualy. So are our thoughts in fact more valuable than ourselves physicly as we would be nothing without creative and induvidual thinking.

This does contradict What i had written earlier, but I have to agree with you.

Also, what if our brainpower becomes such that we one day can imagine what we can't imagine now?

that makes a lot of sense. brainpower has evolved, and it will keep evolving.

Also if god is undefined wouldn't being labeled greatest define it to be greater than anything else?

can you even label something that is undefined? well i guess you can, seeing how a name is a label. and god is undefined, and god is the name of the undefined.

and labeling something that is undefined, is just an opinion.

• 8 months later...