Science Forums

Something for everyone

Dennis Sirois

Hi all, just want to propose an idea that I had today.

One of my topics of interest is politics but I don't want to create a conversation about politics per se. The topic of discussion I wish to propose is about how we access information and become involved in the process of politics and government.

Being interested in what government does on a daily basis, I am constantly subscribing to newsletters, site memberships and so on with the interest of being flooded with a myriad of information that will keep me up to date with what is going on. Without any real order or purpose.

Please take any name that I propose with a grain of salt, I am just trying to open a topic of conversation not set forth all of the ideas.

My idea: (I'm not a gamer so please excuse my lingo)

Think massive online multiplayer gaming environment. ie. World of warcraft or Everquest (I'm sure there are better examples but like I said... I'm no gamer) Just think of the nearly endless resources available to the gaming world.

Remove the fantasy environment and replace it with the real concept of looking at the government from the outside in.

Imagine an interactive virtual world where each branch of government is laid out on a 3D map with layers of embedded realtime and archive media already available throughout the web. Including current legislation, hearings, proposals, bios, etc..

Now, imagine the impact of this idea if every American interested in politics had a place to go to get truly involved.

You can probably see where I am going with this, and it may not be a new idea (hell, it may even be a horrible idea) but I felt I needed to share it anyway.

I've only had this idea in my head for the last hour or so, so please go easy on me. I won't have any answers as to logistics, I'm just an idea guy.

Too stupid...? Or is this a good idea?

You will need to try harder. just an idea guy doesn't work because everyone has an idea or two. An idea is worthless without action. Try outline it a bit clearer would be a good start.

How do we interact in this thing? I like the idea everyone gets to vote for everything but... then the poor with no computers get alienated from the decision making process.

I like the idea everyone gets to vote for everything but... then the poor with no computers get alienated from the decision making process.

Good point... This is an angle i didn't even consider. Currently there is very limited public interactivity with the powers that be. I see an idea like this... maybe not mine, but something similar, allowing greater access for the public.

• 1 month later...