Science Forums

God is a roulette table

IATESOTK

Here is something I've been dwelling on lately. Let me know if this makes any sense. . .and of course, I welcome opposing views.

I see God as a roulette table that is constantly adding and subtracting both red, black, and the much less common green spaces millions of times every x. X being whatever God uses as time--whether it is a second to us, a year, a million years, etc.

How does the "house" always win with a roulette table? It's very simple, the green spaces ENSURE that the odds will not be 50/50 all the time--and assuming they have enough capital to support the "losing" streaks, they ultimately make money in the end.

What I find fascinating is how it feels to play roulette. When you bet on either red or black, you sort of feel like you are flipping a coin, and random chance takes control of the situation. However, deep down you know that the house ultimately wins, so they must have atleast some margin of control over the game. But in your little world, you are really only playing against 50/50 odds most of the time, since you play many games and never even see a green space come up before you move on.

Now apply that to the universe--and imagine that this all knowing source has the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all three spaces an infinite amount of times in a given time (maybe once a second, or once a year, whatever). Suddenly statistics don't seem like such a science, but more like a more precise religion. Some people go through life saying, "I'm lived this long, and I've never seen a green space come up."

Others who've seen a green space become mentally ill because it never occured to them again, and they've spent too long trying to prove it to themselves and/or others.

But what if we go through life knowing that there are green spaces few and far between that we may or may not ever get to see. What if we do this, and keep in mind that we never want to play at one "table" too long? Maybe 1 or two drinks is a responsible use of our time on Earth. . .but maybe getting smashed every night increases our odds of disaster.