Science Forums

Are Mormons Christians or a cult

Thunderbird

How about this one: Native Americans are the lost tribe of Israel.:)

Again, I find it interesting. I personally love questioning these little mysteries in religious texts. I find it fascinating and energizing. I would assume that since God gave us the desire to search out these questions, then it shouldn't be considered blasphemy to ask them, discuss them, and even try to refine our knowledge.

Where many people go over the line is when they attempt to put an answer on God. Then they start believing in a conclusion instead of asking more questions to better understand the true source.

How about this one: Native Americans are the lost tribe of Israel.:)

Many Native Americans are insulted by that particular Mormon tenet.

Personally, I have trouble with Joseph Smith and his Golden Plates and the Angel Moroni. Then again, I have trouble with Mohammad and the Angel Gabriel. Come to think of it, I have trouble with Moses and Yahweh and the burning bush. Finally, there is Jesus and Satan in the desert. Guess I have trouble with religion.

Is that the one with the Mormon history song...Dum dum dum,;) LOL
That’s the one. :) “Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb” with a couple of “Smart smart smart” lines throw in for anyone who doesn’t immediately get the joke.

Its script can be found at All About The Mormons Transcript at IMSDb. Though about as fast and loose with historic footnotes and qualifications as you’d expect from a paper cutout animated cartoon - as a general rule, it’s unwise to have cartoons be your primary source for history – it does a pretty good job of highlighting the key events of the origin of Mormonism. Plus, like hundreds of South Park episodes, it’s hilarious. :)

In my personal experience, Trey Parker is giving via his Mormon characters a bit more credit than the real life one’s deserve. In it, the main Mormon kid, Gary, openly admits his religion may be complete fantasy, but defends it saying “because what the church teaches now is loving your family, being nice and helping people.” (right before he tells Stan to suck his balls). The Mormons I knew were, IMHO, only superficially charitable, and accepted their religious tenets as literally as most of the evangelical Christians I’ve known. Still, I consider “All About Mormons” to be Trey Parker at his writing best, and accept one of the episode’s points – that Mormons make good neighbors – without reservation.