Science Forums

Pre-processed concentrate

dale_wilson

Background:

This pre-processed concentrate is from a mixed of oxide and sulphide ore, from a mining processing company. The readings are % per tone of concentrate.

I used an NITON XLt XRF and got these readings.

Nb – 0.103, Zr – 0.012, Cu – 9.38, Pb – 7.28, Zn – 0.103,

Fe – 7.34, Mn – 0.070, Ti – 0.684, Ag – 0.063, Mo – 0.002,

Au – 0.020, Co – 0.062, Pt – 0.075

Other materials were below readable levels.

I experimented the following:

COPPER

1. I mixed the concentrate with sodium chloride 1:1 ratio then heated to 644 degree Fahrenheit or 340 degree Celsius, for 2 hours.

2. I then filter it through water, but I was only able to extract 50% of the copper.

Question #1: Is there a better way to extract the copper from the concentrate to get near 99% extraction?

3. I was going to direct electroplate the copper from the solution with 15% sulfuric acid, to get 99.99% pure copper.

Question #1: Would it be better to running it through an SX plant?

Question #2: Can I use reverse osmosis to clean the 15% sulfuric acid, back to clean the water and reuse the water again?

LEAD

1. After letting the concentrate dry. I was going to mix 10 – 12% coconut carbon with the dried concentrate then heat it up to 360 – 368 degree Celsius to extract 99.99% pure lead.

Question #1: How long do I heated for?

Question #2: Is that the proper mixture for the coconut carbon?

SILVER

1. After the lead process. I was going to mix Borax – sodium tetraborate - Na2B4O7, Silicon dioxide - SiO2, and Sodium fluoride – NaF and heat it up 1,000 degree Celsius to extract 99.99% pure silver.

Question #1: What % mixture from each chemical is needed per tone of concentrate?

Question #1: How long do I heated for?

I would like to extract the Au, Pt, Ti and Fe, but I do not know how.

From the reading of Mn, Co and Nb are they high enough in % per tone to try and extract it?

Is there a better way to separate then the way I am doing it?

Thank you so much ahead of time.

Sincerely yours,

Dale

OK, I just read a bit about the leeching process you're doing and now I'm wondering how fine you're milling your ore first.

Also, what concentration of sodium chloride... and have you tried hydrochloric acid instead?... I think you want the mix to be acidic to prevent the copper from precipitating.

Are you heating it under pressure and adding oxygen? 10 atmospheres would be beneficial it would seem.

I think a finely milled concentrate and a good amount of pressure/oxygen should give you above 95% extraction.

Are we on the same page? I'd love to know how this is working out.

-modest

Hi Modest

The ore is mill to approx. 0.5mm. I am using 99% sodium chloride it thought it would be more safe then HCI.

No it did not heat under pressure and did not add oxygen. I do not have that type of equipment.

If I did that would it only extract the copper? How about the other material?

I don't know how to upload a image.

Thanks again.

Dale

Hi Modest

No it did not heat under pressure and did not add oxygen. I do not have that type of equipment.

I think (let me qualify this by saying I have never used this process or anything resembling it).. I think the oxidation would take too long without at least oxygen. Of course, adding oxygen is the easier part - the pressure is what is more difficult / expensive. I found a nice list of methods at different plants as to how they were doing this leaching process. It's basic information but paints a nice pic of how others are doing it. And, the method is in no way standard among them:

Copper Sulphides Leaching Processes Reviewed

If I did that would it only extract the copper? How about the other material?

It seems you can certainly extract nearly all the copper as a sulphate solution but it also looks like you might get some iron and other impurities. Here is a quote from this patent claiming a method of separation:

Copper is recovered from copper sulphide concentrates by a variety of industrial processes including smelting and electrorefining, and roasting, leaching and electrowinning. In all cases it is desirable to ensure that nickel and arsenic, when present in the ore or concentrate, are separated from the copper prior to the electrolytic process step, in which they dissolve and accumulate in the electrolyte, with deleterious effect on cathode product quality and process economics. In the roast-leach-electrowinning process it is also desirable to minimize the level of iron in the copper sulphide concentrate to prevent the formation of acid-insoluble copper ferrites in the roasting step, which can significantly reduce the copper recovery attainable by this process route.
... the patent goes on to describe a method for doing this if you find it necessary.

Also, here is another patent I just ran into claiming 98% recovery of copper using this method. It is not too current but looks like it has some detailed info about the process.

Method for the processing of copper minerals

I don't know how to upload a image.

Thanks again.

Dale

Yeah, I think you have to have 10 posts to be able to upload an image. Sorry.

I hope this is helpful and good luck again.

- modest