Science Forums

Access virus C

Queso

I'm posting this question all over the internet, I know I probably won't have much luck here but eh, it's worth a shot.

I just invested in an access virus C, kick *** simulated analog synthesizer.

It was working fine until I updated the OS via sysex midi dump and now it's completely silent.

Not even the hiss of turning the master volume all the way up comes out of the outputs.

Very discouraging.

If anyone has any advice....

The new TI's are so expensive because they link with RTAS plug-ins and other formats.

You can control the TI on your computer, but I heard the software is very buggy.

That's why I got a C. Just as good, and it cost me less than half as much as a new TI.

I don't know where to get an older OS....but that's a good start.

The access tech support is sucking today, but maybe I'm just impatient today....

Yes tried to reboot....

Man, yesterday I was making the craziest noises ever....

and today it just sits there... :gobsmacked:

tech support won't call me back.

they e-mailed me and told me to hold down the LFO Shape button which did practically nothing.

technology is so annoying and great.

ey freezy.

know anything about "sound design"?

I am told that this synth "talks". and it does. I've been messing with the presets and it's so wild.

There's a preset with just a basic saw wave that I've been trying to manipulate into that crazy throat grinding sound that I fell in love with over a year ago and is why I bought this thing.

I just love the way it grinds and squelches and well...it's a lot harder than I thought it would be!

Using Reasons synths is a sinch.

The signal is manifested then passes thru LFO, Filters, and that was basically it. I can control all the parameters right there on the screen.

But now that all of these parameters and then some are fit into this little box it makes sound designing a bit trickier.

I love how it's all connected.

Rambling,

I know a little about sound design, but I'm not familiar with the Virus.

Let's see, to get a "throat grinding" sound, I'd probably start with a sine wave LFO and a PWM LFO. Of course, you want the freq low. At the ADSR, I'd assign something in the range of A=slow, D=medium, S=high, R=slow. All of which is probably way off. :doh:

I don't know how people can hear a sound and then create it almost verbatim on a synth. It's quite a talent. One day I plan on buying the Synthesizer Cookbook...hmmm perhaps for the xmas list...

So how is the Virus different from a Reason synth. Is it just the layout/options that make the Virus more difficult to program, or does it have advanced features beyond your typical LFO and filters?

It's advanced beyond me, that's for sure.

I have a lot to figure out. It's kind of tricky applying the oscillators and the lfos and controlling them it's very....unique...challenging..and insane!

so.....whats the synthesizer cookbook??? :doh:

Sounds like fun. I'm going to google it right now.