Science Forums

UV rays

missyjean130

Are UVA rays decreased at all during cloudy days? Or do clouds just decrease the UVB rays?

What materials ( clothing) block out UVA rays the best. If you have a thin curtain over a window, but there's still a significant amount of light coming through, does this mean it isn't blocking out UVA rays at all, are the UVA rays weakened/lessened at all from this?

the specific materials of concern are polyester, cotton,and acrylic

Are UVA rays decreased at all during cloudy days? Or do clouds just decrease the UVB rays?

What materials ( clothing) block out UVA rays the best. If you have a thin curtain over a window, but there's still a significant amount of light coming through, does this mean it isn't blocking out UVA rays at all, are the UVA rays weakened/lessened at all from this?

the specific materials of concern are polyester, cotton,and acrylic

I think that clouds block some of the rays, but a lot of both UVA and UVB still get through.

I recently bought some polyester/cotton curtains which have a specially treated back to block out UV rays. Apparently polyester is the best material for UV protection, and dark colours are better that light colours.

Closely knit fabrics and those with increased mass or weight, such as polyester and wool, tend to have higher SPF values than cotton. Dark blue cotton fabrics appear to increase the SPF by more than a factor of 3

Counseling Tips - Eight Ways to Protect Skin from the Sun

Actually, you might be interested in this study which looks at the most protective fabric:

Blackwell Synergy - Int J Dermatol, Volume 36 Issue 5 Page 374-379, May 1997 (Article Abstract)

If you can't access the full article and you really want to read it, PM me and I can email it to you.

That's good to know about polyester. Both my blinds and curtains have a polyester/cotton bled and are dyed blue...the blinds are light blue and the curtain are medium to dark blue.

It did make me wonder before I posted the thread though, if there was visable sunlight penetrating the fabric then I automatically assummed that UV rays were coming in just as strong too...since UV rays are stronger ( right?) then the other light the sun emits.

thanks for clearing this up for up for me, I no longer feel concerned about sleeping in my own bedroom lol.