Science Forums

The Science of Colour

I need a little bit of help. I'm painting a bathroom and I want it to be beautiful and perfect. I've been reading up on some of the different way colour has an effect on you. This is the information I got off one of the sites:

Blue represents peace, tranquility, calm, stability, harmony, unity, trust, truth, confidence, conservatism, security, cleanliness, order, loyalty, sky, water, cold, technology, and depression.

Blue can "slow the pulse rate, lower body temperature, and reduce appetite." Blue is considered a business color because it reflects reliability.Black is the absence of light and therefore, of color.

It represents power, sexuality, sophistication, formality, elegance, wealth, mystery, fear, evil, anonymity, unhappiness, depth, style, evil, sadness, remorse, anger, underground, good technical color, mourning and death.

Green, one of most-often cited favorite colors. It represents nature, environment, health, good luck, renewal, youth, vigor, spring, generosity, fertility, jealousy, inexperience, envy, misfortune.

"Its cool quality soothes, calms, and has great healing powers." It is often worn in operating rooms by surgeons.

Orange is a combination of yellow and red. Orange is considered a warm color like red, but to a lesser extent; orange expresses energy. It has luminous qualities and has been used for attention-getting purposes, such as on caution signs.

Orange brings up memories of fall leaves, pumpkins and Halloween. It symbolizes balance, warmth, enthusiasm, vibrance, flamboyancy, and is demanding of attention.Purple represents royalty, spirituality, nobility, ceremony, mystery, transformation, wisdom, enlightenment, cruelty, arrogance, mourning. Purple is considered an exotic color.

Red is the color that we pay the most attention to. It is the warmest and most energic color in the spectrum.

We associate red with love, valentines, danger, desire, speed, strength, violence, anger, emergency exit signs, stop signs and blood.

Red can evoke a fight-or-flight response, raise blood pressure and make the heart beat faster.

White is what we see when all colors come together in perfect balance.

It represents reverence, purity, simplicity, cleanliness, peace, humility, precision, innocence, youth, birth, winter, snow, good, sterility, and marriage.

Yellow represents joy, happiness, optimism, idealism, imagination, hope, sunshine, summer, gold, philosophy, dishonesty, cowardice, betrayal, jealousy, covetousness, deceit, illness, hazard, spirtuality and inspiration.

The yellow rose is a symbol of friendship, less passionate or threatening than red ones.

I need at least two effective colours but I can't find any good information on colour combination effects.

Does anyone here have anymore information about the effects of colour combinations and the psychie? Or tips perhaps?

(Blue and Yellow perhaps?)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...