Science Forums

Don't laugh!

Hi, new guy here. Some friends and I work on puzzles and we developed an interesting formula relating to squares. Is there any way I can find out if this formula is useful or already published?

Where a=b+1 and b=c+1 and c=d+1

[{(a3-a2)-(b3-b2)}-{(b3-b2)-(c3-c2)}]-[{(b3-b2)-(c3-c2)}-{(c3-c2)-(d3-d2)}]=6

All the twos and threes refer to squares and cubes.

Like I said, we just kinda thought it was interesting, and didn't know how to search for it, since it may be under a different format. Don't really know if there's anything useful here. Thanks for any input.

Hi, new guy here. Some friends and I work on puzzles and we developed an interesting formula relating to squares. Is there any way I can find out if this formula is useful or already published?

Depends. :hihi:

There are number of functions with test for convergence (sums, ..., etc).

What's the formula ?

Maddog

I'm not laughing! that mathematical oddity is exquisite. Have you tested it pretty thoroughly with software? I'd guess you have. I commend you guys heartily!

As for how to check where it has been derived heretofore, I've posted an inquiry on the Australia Mathematics newsgroup (I don't find one for USA). No replies as yet; monitorfor responses here. I hope that's a sensible approach ! :hihi: Maybe you should just call CBS or something :rant:

interesting equation this is!

however i am convinced that you can extend this equation to not just 4 numbers, but n numbers. I looked a while on this (well 5 minutes maybe :hihi:) and it looks quite complicated to achieve that...

Bo

there seems to be some cool pattern, if you use c instead of a

a2(a-1) - 3 (a-1)2(a-2) + 3(a-2)2(a-3) - (a-3)2(a-4)=6

(c+2)2 (c+1) - 3(c+1)2 ©+ 3©2 (c-1) - (c-1)2 (c-2)=6

since a can be anything, c can be anything as well, both equations work.

these equations do work for any variable, you can test it yourself.

(i simplified it by factoring, ex: a3 - a2 = a2 (a-1)

if you expand all the square and things like that, you get

3(a-3)(-3a+5)+ (9a2 -33a +36)

simplified it further, i got 6, all other terms canceled with each other.... :hihi: