Science Forums

Agreeable planetary conditions...?

Arter21

Greetings everyone...

I'm new here and was wondering if any of you chaps/ladies had any idea of the following?

For a species similar to ourselves to exist on a planet, at what approximate distance would a planet need to be from the various types of star?

I appreciate that there are lots of variables both with regards the star and the planet that will make this question difficult to answer accurately, so really you could say I'm interested in the approximate upper and lower limits.

Primarily I'm interested in redwhiteblue supergiants, whiteblue main sequence stars and white dwarves.

Many thanks :Alien:

For a species similar to ourselves to exist on a planet, at what approximate distance would a planet need to be from the various types of star?

I appreciate that there are lots of variables both with regards the star and the planet that will make this question difficult to answer accurately, so really you could say I'm interested in the approximate upper and lower limits.

Primarily I'm interested in redwhiteblue supergiants, whiteblue main sequence stars and white dwarves.

Many thanks :)

Given these parameters, I'd suppose the following. Suppose that our star went nova (G2 main sequence star). Once done its size would extend out to just past mars. So any planet

from Mercury to Mars wouldn't exist. It is thought that a moon of Jupiter or better Saturn

would then be in a "habitable life zone". Thus Titan 4 or 5 billion years hence will become

a habitable planet (maybe).

As you go up the main sequence of stars (hotter) towards F or A type stars. The distance

would have to be further out. For O and B stars the end is more likely a black hole at the

center (most of these stars exceed 10 solar masses), and so would not likely be habitable

at all.

Hope this helps. :)

Maddog

That does help a bit, cheers maddog, but it's not really exactly what I was after...

Basically I'm writing a short story and I want the information in it to be based in reality. As it'll be set on several different planets in different star systems, I don't really need to know about the habitable distance over a period of time, rather just at the specific stage of the stars life.

Waht I don't want is to have a planet goign round a blue giant at say, 45 AU's and then later find out that at that distance the radiation/heat/electromagnetic field of the star would rip the planet to shreds and any life thereon.

Thanks for the reply though, I can at least get an agreeable distance for a red giant, thanks to you... :)

Basically I'm writing a short story and I want the information in it to be based in reality. As it'll be set on several different planets in different star systems, I don't really need to know about the habitable distance over a period of time, rather just at the specific stage of the stars life.

Waht I don't want is to have a planet goign round a blue giant at say, 45 AU's and then later find out that at that distance the radiation/heat/electromagnetic field of the star would rip the planet to shreds and any life thereon.

Thanks for the reply though, I can at least get an agreeable distance for a red giant, thanks to you... :)

You're welcome. I would caution against using much bluer beyond about B8 or so. They tend

to be bigger as they get hotter and have less of lifetime. I would think towards the end life

of any main sequence star A-K would generate a nice system nicely.

I would like to read it when the story is done. Let me know where you plan to publish, so I

can find it. Later.

Maddog

Wouldn't a larger star also produce more harmful radiation than a smaller star, meaning that any life around it would either need to have developed ways to counter it, or the planet would need to have an atmosphere that could deflect it, like our ozone layer, but thicker?

Wouldn't a larger star also produce more harmful radiation than a smaller star, meaning that any life around it would either need to have developed ways to counter it, or the planet would need to have an atmosphere that could deflect it, like our ozone layer, but thicker?

Actually, I don't know exactly what would be best for his story as I only answere from what

was given.

The rule of thumb is going up the main sequence towards O type star the surface temperature

goes up. Mass of the star goes up as well (O type stars are more likely larger than A's). The

harmful radiation is indicitive of the temperature (being O or :). The bulk of radiation is in

the band where the center would nearly be UV. Yes, this would much more harmfull. So

either a thicker atmosphere, with more other things in it, a thicker Ozone layer, etc. This

still would all be temporary independant of type of star. Once all the fuel ran out and the

star goes nova (or supernova), even for a star of our size not much would habitable inside

of pluto or so. Not enough current data, it is speculative that a supernova would make all

object inside the equivalent of an Oort's cloud melt or molten (nothing left).

It all depends. :)

Maddog