Science Forums

Matter/Antimatter

Aki

I was just thinking, instead of using fuels, we could be using matter and antimatter annihilation as a source of energy for rockets. This would be more efficient, since 100% of the mass gets converted into energy, and that does not cause any pollution. What do you think?

Absolutely! However, the technology is not mature enough, I believe. For one, it's still difficult and extremely expensive to produce antimatter, and also not all issues regarding storage has been solved yet. I have no doubt they will be solved though. Then we could finally cut shorter the times it will take to go anywhere, and of course there wont be necessary to bring as much fuel.

There are some ideas on how to do that, though, which is to contain the antimatter in a magnetic field (obviously the antimatter would need to have a charge, like antiprotons or positrons.) Unfortunately it's extremely expensive to produce antimatter, but I can see facilities used for that purpose alone for massproducing antimatter.

I was just thinking, instead of using fuels, we could be using matter and antimatter annihilation as a source of energy for rockets. This would be more efficient, since 100% of the mass gets converted into energy, and that does not cause any pollution. What do you think?

Aki, about all we can do at the moment is make a bomb with it. However, this process

is between 1000 to 10^6 times more efficient at elliminating everything that the

conventional thermonuclear weaponry we all so fond of.

To actually have proper combustion, you would need proper containtment. The only way

to do that would be in a magnetic bottle. Even with superconducting magnets, this is

more than can be done at the present moment.

Maddog