Science Forums

Eat more veggies!

Aki

You know Aki, I come across all sort of these things. Then somebody comes along and says the opposite or some sort of serious side effect to it. A recent one that I remeber was soymilk. People were going crazy about the wonders of soya bean with all its protein and crap and that people should consume a lot of it bla bla bla, then an article makes its way into a magazine or newspaper and says it is harmful when you take this or that amount blablalbla.... I hate it.

Aki, to be honest, I didn't even open the link. Straightaway, I blurted all this out. Don't feel offended.

Here's another interesting one about coconut oil. I posted it before a while ago but only FreeT replied which, not constructively, was yet another vilification towards me. Never mind that.

Coconut oil might not be of such significance to northern countries, but here in Malaysia, it is used for so many things, especially food. So the story is like this. We Malaysians cook all types of food with coconut milk (which contains coconut oil). We also cook with coconut oil. So coconut was a big industry. Then along came international trade with american soybean oil, cottonseed oil etc... Coupled with that was scientific claims of coconut oil as an unhealthy oil, attributing it with raising cholesterol levels because it was a saturated fat. So Malaysians started opting for those imported oils, and avoided cooking food with coconut milk. As fate would have it, cocconuts became almost totally abandoned as more and more people grew more health-conscious about the threats of coconut oil. But along comes John Kabara with his research on lauric acids and monolaurins(which are mainly found in coconut oil) as anti-microbial agents and cholesterol-lowering oils, thus promoting good health. It is not quite well known though.

Here's one link: http://www.coconutoil.com/John%20Kabara.pdf

There's more if you search for "monolaurin"

Just a story I wanted to share relating to my previous post.

I swear, I've seen an antivegeratian website somewhere, but i cant quiet find it, oh here: http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/3652/

now this doesnt prove anything, and i'm not against vegetables, i just found this funny...

Back to topic, veggies are good for you, they tend to give you vitamins and minerals that your body needs in order to function propperly. A lot of new sicknesses come out of people having an impropper diet, and with fast food being on the rise in the world, there's lots of room for improvement. I've recently heard that if you cant get vegies from an open-air market, it is better to get frozen veggies from the store rather than regular veggies, because the frozen veggis are packed after they are ripened and within 3-5 minutes of them being picked, however fresh veggies in the supermarkets are picked way before they are ripe and become ripe in the trucks but lack much of nutreans and vitamins that develop right before or during the ripening stages of the fruits life...

Don't feel offended.

Oh don't worry Tinny, I don't get offended that easily ;)

I know that veggies can prevent cancer. During DNA replication, errors can occur, which is called a mutation, and that causes cancer. To be honest, mutations occur all the time in our body. But luckily, there are some enzymes that "proof-reads" our DNA, and fixes all these error. And these enzymes come from veggies :wink:

so veggies prevent the process of evolution through genetic mutation.... anyway, what type of veggie? Then animals that rely only on those veggies will not evolve... We shouldn't eat those veggies. They're bad. Bad veggies. Can't improve our genes through that junk food. Bad. :wink: