Science Forums

Gravitons vs. Einstein?

DivineNathicana

Thank you, GAHD - your explanation best answered what I had in mind.

It's one of those dualities where either counterpart may be used to suit specific conditions? That's what I seem to have understood. Like in string theory, it doesn't matter whether we consider the string vibrating or space-time moving.

However, there is a clear difference: In the latter case, the two components are essentially one and the same, and could we "see" a string, either conclusion could be deduced. However, in the case of gravitons vs. space-time curvature, I am sure that if we could likewise "see" gravitons, we would know that curvature must not exist as having both would be redundant. Likewise, if LISA detected gravitational waves, would that disprove gravitons?

I understand that they may remain a useful mathematical model that would in many case make calculations easier, but if we prove one, doesn't that mean that we physically disprove the other?

Wouldn't that in turn disprove major theories???

I don't agree with Tormod that we can use both at the same time, as gravitons would be creating the actual orbits, as he himself realizes: "But I still do not see why they rule out curvature. Curvature is caused by objects curving space-time around them, gravitons would be the particles that give objects this ability." They wouldn't really give the object the ability to curve... The curve IS the gravity. That's TWO gravities at the same time... Can you see where I'm coming from?

*confuses self*

Grazie,

- Alisa