Science Forums

Where do angels come from?

stanleyg

A big problem with accounts of drug use is the extreme limitations and difficulty of trying to convey the totality of our experience adequately to another human being. I could talk to you about the wonderments I've experienced, but would sound foolish since it is all weighted by my own emotion and experience, and will never be fully understood by another human being with their own perceptual filters.

I remember one time about 5 years ago i ate a bunch of LSD and was turning on and off street lights, i would raise my hand and then direct all my energy thorugh my arm to the light,,,,and it would get brighter and brighter,,,then i would walk away and it would go out.

Then i would slowly approach the lighta gain and it would flash on and i would do the same thing over again. I remember getting jolts of energy during the experiment.

I wonder if that would do.? LOL.

Makes ya think if no one has done it yet eh?

LSD is not prerequisite for turning street lights off/on. Here's some blogging on the effect. Given the proper atmosphereic conditions, any person may at any time cause a street light to go out at night by simply walking near it.

http://mboard.scifi.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2011969&Main=377043

Back onto the angels... Screw the angels! Whatever they be - if they be - they are as screwed up socially and emotionally as we are. So again to clarify, screw the angels; if you want wise advice, you'll have better luck asking your grandparents.

When I was in my teens and living at home we got a free beat up pool table from a neighbor who was throwing it out. It was full sized, and too big for the basement so we played with broomsticks instead of queues. We only had seven balls and a queue, and five of the balls were solids with two stripes, so we had to make some creative games. Also, the table had been laying on its side in a flooded basement at one time, so the surfce along one side was pretty warped. It was not exactly flat anyplace, and the bumpers had no life at all. It had ball returns, but they were as warped as the table top, and sometimes the balls would get stuck in the returns, and you would have to roll another ball to knock the stuck one free. But none of that has anything to do with this post.

Me and my sisters thought that the table was haunted.

The basement always seemed creepy after we set it up. Like it was looking at you. And it would do strange things, like you would leave the broomstick laying across the table and go upstairs for a drink. When you would come downstairs the stick would be lying on the table, not across. Sometimes a ball would get stuck in a return and not come out. The seven ball would be in the tunnel. You would roll the cue ball in and hear them knock together, and then the cue ball would roll out, but no seven. There was no room for them to pass. These things always seemed to happen when you were not paying attention. I would roll a ball, and get a different one out, but did I really roll that one in? In any controlled experiment we never observed anything strange.

My point is that we set ourselves up emotionally to observe phenomena that was not happening. We all agreed that the table was creepy. that is was somehow scary to have down there. Then any small thing we observed our mind sought to justify based upon our preconceived notion that it was a haunted table. Because it was scary we conceived of the phenomena as demonic or evil. Had we had the initial notion that it was a fountain of good fortune, we may have perceived the same events as angelic, or of good luck. The human mind has an increadible ability to make your wishes come true in how it evaluates abstract events into your perception of reality. And you don't need a drug to make those things happen. All you need is an emotionally charged state of mind, and a conception of what might happen. Your mind will do the rest.

Wisdom gained over a lifetime helps you to control your mind state and separate real from fantasy. Youths seem to go through a period of exploration that is part of the typical developmental curve. While we go through it at different paces and different extremes, we all do it. And there are always a few who think they are inventing something new, and a very few who never grow out of it. But just because you are still scared of your own pool table doesn't mean that it is haunted. Give it time, I have been there.

Bill

thanks for the blog on turning street lamps on. it seems to happen to othe people i know as well. the experience seemed enhanced by my acid soaked neural pathways.who knows...

About the angels........maybe your right. but something tells me that they woven themselves into our lives deeper than we can suppose.

I can accept the fact that they just may be part of our own neurological function,,and really their not angels,,,,read some of the trip reports at erroiwid, they are way weirder than any angel could be ....!

interesting story Bill..

i tend to see as each and every object and being holds a vibration. The things that happen to it leave a residue over it. Like the feeling of a new pair of clothing over a worn pair.

maybe that table had bad things happen around and on it during its history, and thus left that residue over it.

i cant prove this. but its a feeling i get around certain things and people. Shoes are a good example,,,,i wore a friend of mine shoes he died in. Just to see what it was like...i felt his energy and his stride....

And you dont need drugs to sense it. if your sensitive enough it happens.

peace

Neuroflux

i cant prove this. but its a feeling i get around certain things and people. Shoes are a good example,,,,i wore a friend of mine shoes he died in. Just to see what it was like...i felt his energy and his stride....
Ah, but you can prove such things – or at least fail to prove them. Well designed experimentation is the essence of the scientific method, and can be used to investigate paranormal hypotheses as well as conventional scientific ones. A double-blind experiment using shoes that people have died in (though perhaps difficult to come by) and ordinary, worn “control/placebo” shoes, can test the objective reality of your experience.

From early childhood until my mid 20s, I read and watched a lot of fictional accounts of the paranormal – and a few claiming to be nonfiction (”The Secret Life of Plants” being a standout). As a result, I believed that most of the phenomena from these accounts existed – certainly not as depicted, and very rarely, but surely at least a few people could read minds, move objects telekinetically, perceive the past or future, etc.

As I became acquainted with various literatures – and especially, as I learned more about formal and informal methods of proof – I was amazed to discover that, despite the numerous, popular, and profitable depictions of the paranormal, there was simply no well-controlled, definitive or statistically significant evidence of their objective existence. At the same time, I became increasingly impressed with the human capacity for internal experiences seemingly beyond the limits of imagination. As my academic major changed from English to Fine Arts to Math, my increasing exposure to mathematical formalism lead me to conclude (although neither I nor anyone is able to conclusively prove it) that neuroanotomy and physiology is sufficient to account for all subjective human experience – including interactions with angels, devils, and the whole haunted pantheon.

Of course, continued scientific investigation of claims of the paranormal may someday demonstrate the objective reality of one or more classes of paranormal phenomena – though, if they do, I suspect the objective reality may little resemble traditional theological, mystical, and anecdotal interpretations.

during the course of my studies i too came across the secret life of plants, I gobbled it up.

Were you implying that you didnt beleive the experiments done in that book CraigD?

just wondering.

And this thread may not be the place to discuss this but i was wondering if any of you are familar with "the Holographic theory" of life?

Peace

NF

Were you implying that you didnt beleive the experiments done in that book [The Secret Life of Plants]CraigD?
I don’t have the book handy,and it’s been years since I thought about it, but at least some of the experiments described in SLoP appear to be hoaxes:

In particular, SLoP describes an experiment, performed in the 1970s by Cleve Backster, where:

[*]Several philodendron are connected to skin (leaf) conductivity testers;

[*]The conductivity testers are connected to automatic recording devices;

[*]Using an automatic, randomly programmed timer, a device periodically dumps containers of brine shrimp (“sea monkeys”) into boiling water, killing them;

[*]The entire apparatus is allowed to run untended. All humans leave, allowing the experiment to run in a remote, unpopulated facility;

It’s claimed that the conductivity of the philodendron leaves increases sharply when the shrimp are killed, supporting the hypothesis that these plants are sensitive to the distress of these tiny animals. Since the plants can “hear or see” the shrim, the cause must be something else, some form of ESP.

Despite the many citations to this experiment, it doesn’t appear to have actually been conducted. Attempts to reproduce it have failed, even though Backster reported that the effect was easy to produce and measure, even without the elaborate controls described above.