Science Forums

Rotation of plane mirror

With a fixed incident ray, if a plane mirror is rotated through an angle theta about an axis lying in the plane of incidence, what is the angle through which the reflected ray will rotate?

I think the reflected ray will not rotate at all because the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the plane of the mirror. This means that mirror will be rotating in its own plane. Is my understanding right?

It depends on which of the possible axes in the plane of incidence, and the answer would have to be worked out differentially.

i think that photons hitting a rotating mirror will expereience some doppler's shift
Wow, how about a quantitative analysis?

Wow, how about a quantitative analysis?

thinking about how the rotation of the mirror affects space-time... hmmm, too complicated. actually i was thinking about something similar to compton's effect. the derivation should be similar.

light reflected naturally obeys the equation described by compton. a photon that is 90 degrees incident to the mirror should experience a wavelength shift of 2*compton wavelength...

perhaps i will try to work on it tomorrow.