Science Forums

What If Science Is Just A Tool?

Mpossum

I just want to talk about some interesting ideas, specifically written/clarified by Mortimer Adler, a philosopher.

A big idea he wrote in his book Ten Philosophical Mistakes is the idea that modern philosophy is basically useless. I mean, he sort of made it look this way on purpose in his book. He says it's because many Enlightenment philosophers went down a road with bad ideas in mind to begin with, thus all modern philosophy is not very good, and the Greeks still are more right about everything.

This brings me to the idea that, maybe science has always been just a tool. Like when we used stone tools in early human history. Maybe, the Greek ideas of being a good citizen, having knowledge of self, being good at art, language, and metaphor, and things like this are more accurate for human beings, as opposed to situating toward STEM, SINGULARITIES, TV, YOUTUBE, ETC as main human activities. Not that that will ever happen in a real way, but doesn't it make sense that, if the Greeks were more right, and pre enlightenment logic, then this sets the stage for everything other than technology being more proper. I don't know. I would like to know what you all have to say.

Edited by Mpossum