Science Forums

Does Proxima B Actually Host Life?

alfa015

Hi!

I would like to share with you guys my brief analysis on the exoplanet Proxima b (first part is introduction to the main features of the planet and my opinion starts in the minute 1:20) - http://bit.ly/2oQJDqd

What do you think about Proxima b and about my points? I'm sure you know much more about it than me.

Cheers!

If the atmosphere is denser than earth it's less likely because there's less water.

However, alien life might evolve on worlds we wouldn't believe life could evolve on. We pick earth-like planets as the most likely candidates because we only know how life evolves on those types of worlds.

I think it circling a red star makes it more likely than life evolving on earth as it has a longer lifespan.

One side is also shielded from asteroids, which actually makes it less likely that life would evolve intelligently there than on earth as extinction level events promote the process of adaptation. Although one side of that world is also it's red sun's shooting target as far as coronal mass ejections are concerned, and depending its orbit around its star its proximity could cause periodic ultra volcanic activity and hyper tsunami's. Night and day, volcanoes and oceans are also great for natural catastrophes - so when you face an extinction level event that's always night on one side and day on the other you get extinction level events pushing life to one side from a solar flare while also pushing life to the other side due to asteroid impacts altering the entire ecosystems on both sides. This would force the apex predators or the dominant species that adapted to a different ecosystem to venture to the opposite side in order to survive. This allows for double adaptive evolution following extinction level events.

Also, volume is always good, more territory equals more life.

As far as intelligent life goes one side would almost force the adoption of stargazing for navigation purposes. Also, you get echo location such as what we see in dolphins and bats. Mammals are the smartest set of species on this planet and echolocation is only seen in mammals. On other worlds, such species with echolocation reveal a certain level of evolutionary sophistication.

Planets like Proxima B are probably the most likely worlds for the evolution of intelligent life. Even moreso than on earth.

Edited by Super Polymath

• 2 weeks later...

If the atmosphere is denser than earth it's less likely because there's less water.

However, alien life might evolve on worlds we wouldn't believe life could evolve on. We pick earth-like planets as the most likely candidates because we only know how life evolves on those types of worlds.

I think it circling a red star makes it more likely than life evolving on earth as it has a longer lifespan.

One side is also shielded from asteroids, which actually makes it less likely that life would evolve intelligently there than on earth as extinction level events promote the process of adaptation. Although one side of that world is also it's red sun's shooting target as far as coronal mass ejections are concerned, and depending its orbit around its star its proximity could cause periodic ultra volcanic activity and hyper tsunami's. Night and day, volcanoes and oceans are also great for natural catastrophes - so when you face an extinction level event that's always night on one side and day on the other you get extinction level events pushing life to one side from a solar flare while also pushing life to the other side due to asteroid impacts altering the entire ecosystems on both sides. This would force the apex predators or the dominant species that adapted to a different ecosystem to venture to the opposite side in order to survive. This allows for double adaptive evolution following extinction level events.

Also, volume is always good, more territory equals more life.

As far as intelligent life goes one side would almost force the adoption of stargazing for navigation purposes. Also, you get echo location such as what we see in dolphins and bats. Mammals are the smartest set of species on this planet and echolocation is only seen in mammals. On other worlds, such species with echolocation reveal a certain level of evolutionary sophistication.

Planets like Proxima B are probably the most likely worlds for the evolution of intelligent life. Even moreso than on earth.

I agree with you!

Without other species having extinguished on earth, maybe humans would no exist xD

I can't wait for new telescope to find out whether or not Proxima b has atmosphere.

Regards.