Science Forums

Multiple dimensions beyond 3?

it has been a while since i have brushed up on the string theory, but one thing i recall from it is that it needs/proves that there are somewhere around 10 dimensions. all i know about dimensions is that there are 3 proven/accepted dimensions: left-right, up-down, front-back. A fourth possibility, the spacetime dimension, would allow for time travel (which i do not believe is feasible). what other dimensions do you all believe might be possible or even exist, and why/how?

If a simple drawing on a piece of paper is two dimensional, and adding depth to that drawing makes it look 3-D, then wouldn't the piece of paper (not the entire object, just the medium/surface, assuming that the surface is completly smooth) be one dimensional? There is neither direction nor movement, only space.

I think that dimensions are about 10, what I don't know is how are they so?

and according to what the theory is based on, there could be a lot more than 10 dimensions out there.

is 1 dimensional possible, what is it?

what did you mean by that?

maybe I didn't understand what you're getting at, but,

a curve is a one dimensional manifold.

why do not i make a point and start with zero dimensions,

the "bare" electron is thought to be a point particle as try as anybody can it has been found to have no internal structure.

it has no width, heighth, no depth, its a point, zero dimensions although it travels through time,

but it still travels through time but it DOES HAVE, charge, mass, and spin !!!

these are quantum numbers not dimensions!

now you see things can exist independent of time as well! and space as we know it.

we can also think of a circle given by the following equation in one particular reference frame as:

R= x^2+y^2

and we generally visualize it "embeded" in a four-dimensional space-time do we not?

you might object and say NO its three but I say you are looking at it through time too right?

but you could have this same circle embedded just as well in just a plane 2-d, a sphere 3-d, a 1000-d Euclidean Space, or maybe some other geometry!

someday, for those that are interested, study math in college and take

some courses in differential geometry,

it will "blow your mind!!"

i wish i could remember 1/1000 of what i use to almost know, it was pretty! sigh. . .

oh, and i have to mention, the infinite dimensional spaces also!

SPACES AND GROUPS AND SYMETRIES AND FIELDS, etc.!!!

i thought it was sooo important at one time before i found out what was.

sigh*sigh !!!

lol :note:

it has been a while since i have brushed up on the string theory, but one thing i recall from it is that it needs/proves that there are somewhere around 10 dimensions. all i know about dimensions is that there are 3 proven/accepted dimensions: left-right, up-down, front-back. A fourth possibility, the spacetime dimension, would allow for time travel (which i do not believe is feasible). what other dimensions do you all believe might be possible or even exist, and why/how?
The universe as we know it can be described by three space dimensions and one time dimension (time as a coordinate for purposes of motion and relativity). The other dimensions are only mathematical constructs used to make the string theory equations work in other domains (frames of reference). A one-dimension equation is x + y = z. Go to this address to see equations for 10 and 11 dimension "objects." The equation for a 10 dimension spacetime manifold is given. http://home.att.net/~bob.rutkiewicz/torusman.htm

The information on that page is derived from one author's TOE.

• 13 years later...