Build the best computer system, under $1000 in cost (in parts or however you decide to build it, no shipping costs included).
highest processing power
but dont forget it also needs to be usable, so decent graphics card
decent amount of hard drive space,
audio is not too too necessary, although its cool if you have a nice chipset
looks should not count too too much, although are definately a plus in 2 systems of that are equally good in other parts
basically a full pachage system, probably not for average users, but a box that would make a decent server as well as an ok gaming station, from here let the imagination take you
Anyways, you have to post a link to a page that lists a price on the items you use i.e. If you say a case with a 550w power supply for $50, you need to follow that up with a link. If the item was on sale and is no longer so, i guess that we will believe it to a certain extent, but again, we will only accept values that make sense (ex: a GForceFX5900 for $10 will probably be disqualified). Oh and speaking of that, lets make it a max of 2 systems per user, so you have two shots at winning (what i still dont know )?
Open to any suggestions (but not all suggestions are going to be accepted, obviously). If you are submitting an entry, please let us know that in the first line of the post. Oh, and post any discussions in "computer build off discussions" thread. Have fun, and as soon as i find out anything about a prize, or whether there is going to be one, I'll let you know. Obviously i'll post something too, but I am not eligible for a prize as i am the initiator, oh and no copying one nother, duplicates will be disqualified...
ok, let me clarify some things that have come up in the discussion thread:
1) you can buy parts or the entire system, parts have to fit together to make a working system, assembly is free
2) you can buy items from ebay, but only those that have a buy it now price, and that is what you pay
3) you do not have to pay for software, however if you are building something crazy i'll ask you to specify what you will run on it.
4) i just thought of this one, you need at least a dvd rom (at this day and age, you need one), but preferably a writer
5) you dont need to buy peripherals(keyboard, monitor, mouse... nothing, just the system)
Free Platinum Sponsorship Subscription
2 Years at a 25% discount. Includes more gallery space for your pictures, 50 MB scienceforums.com e-mail account, more posting privileges, invisibility, and access to The Club. Also includes a free puzzle and ad free surfing at our forums.