2 replies to this topic

#1 alexander

alexander

Dedicated Smart-ass

• Members
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

Preface:

Before you begin, please read the original tutorial and understand what it is i am explaining here, this is nowhere near as detailed as my other tutorial, its only meant to explain to you how to cut corners using UBCD4Win

READ THIS BEFORE STARTING:
http://hypography.co...e-long-way.html

Tutorial:

For this tutorial, you will need a UBCD4Win CD.

- Download the builder from UBCD for Windows
- Run the installer and extract the contents to C:/UBCD4Win
- Put in an XP installation CD, and copy the I386 folder to C:/I386 (which is not a bad idea to have, anyhow)
- Read the instructions on the website and run the builder.
- Personally, for dealing with harddrive etc issues, i have a separate build of UBCD, i take out all AV and spyware junk out of it, as well as a many programs as i can that dont pertain to hard drive, and all the extra bootable images, before building the CD.

When the Builder comletes you are left with a standard Iso, burn it to a cd, and you are ready to go.

To this point i was vague, because building UBCD is slighly different, all the time, and it does have a nasty tendency to not work when you need it to, remember you can always go back to the original write up, this will simply speed the process up :roll:

Boot into UBCD, their slick explorer-like interface is awesome for this kind of minute file manipulation and the entire restore process can be summed up thusly:

- Open up File Explorer

- Navigate to your system hard drive, you should see all of your files in there, handy, eh?

- Go into the "Windows" directory and create a new folder, the way you normally would in windows... call it tmp

- Now go into the System32/config

- You should see the following files:
system
sam
software
security

- Very simply, holding down control, click to select the files, right click on one of the selected files and go say Cut

- Navigate back to the tmp directory, right click on the empty space, and say Paste

Nearly 1/2 way there already

- Now lets go into tools, folder options, and enable ourselves the view of the hidden system files, etc.

- Go to you system drive, and navigate to the System Volume Information. Remember, you can now just give yourself enough permissions to view the folder, but i think here, you will at least be able to view the folder.

- Enable Details in the View drop down

- in System Volume Information, find the one folder, or folders starting with _restore{ followed by a bunch of numbers, that were not created that day, go inside, and find the restore point.

- Choose one, go into the Snapshot folder

- Now you can Control (Ctrl) select the following files:
_registry_user_.default
_registry_machine_security
_registry_machine_software
_registry_machine_system
_registry_machine_sam

- Right click and say Copy (not Cut)

- Navigate to Windows/system32/config folder, and paste the files inside

- Rename the files to their previous counterpart names:
_registry_user_.default - default
_registry_machine_security - security
_registry_machine_software - software
_registry_machine_system - system
_registry_machine_sam - sam

- Close explorer, hit the start button and reboot your machine

You have just done the same thing as i described in the previous tutorial, in 1/4 of the time.

Enjoy

#2 PetRose

PetRose

Curious

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:11 AM

Hi Alexander
Had go use (in understanding of recovery) using your article which I believe closely quote the Microsoft article KB307545. But one typo has sneaked into your 'Short Version', and that close to the last step:
-"Navigate to Windows/system32/control folder..."
where you should have noted:
-"Navigate to Windows/system32/config folder..."

Anyway, I had to refresh my UBCD4WIN boot DVD since my last was built on WinXP SP2, so I started grabbing my official WinXP SP2 source and followed the build-instructions and SlipStreamed Win-XP SP3 onto the HDD copy of my WinXP SP2 build.
See UBCD for Windows.
Configuring the becoming UBCD Boot image, I found what seemed to be a useful tool (to me and perhaps to a lot of others): Registry Restore Wizard, within the FileTools !
Once my boot DVD was built to save my other laptop with the registry problem (SYSTEM registry), and I fired it up with UBCD boot, I started the Registry Restore Wizard.
Amazingly easy to use, I could simply select which Restore Point to goback to, and just press 'OK'. A few copy and renames were done by the Wizard, and it was finished.
Ejected my boot DVD for another reboot using my HDD C:WINDOWS partition, I found that it was starting without any problems :eek2:
So now I would recommend everyone with this cumbersome registry problem(s) to this wonderful easy recovery method.
Thanks for pointing me to this UBCD4WIN via your article :)

#3 alexander

alexander

Dedicated Smart-ass

• Members
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for pointing out the typo.

The original ideas were derived from a few places actually, i recall seeing a microsoft article, then reading some other article on the net, and putting a few thoughts together to come up with a solution to the problem at hand, then it was a matter of actually typing up a howto, just so i dont forget how i did it, so yeah, definitely there are references that probably didnt get listed, but there were around 4-5 of them and i drew bits and pieces of ideas from all...

And i think back when i wrote these articles there might not have been a registry restore wizard, or maybe there was, but its still a lot more fun to know how to do it :eek2:

You are welcome, UBCD4WIN has saved my butt a few times. Hopefully i wont have much need for it in my new job :) (i really dont like windows)