Science Forums

Human height growth limitation age

vijay86

I grew to 67 inches by age 16 (with 3 inches occurring in a 6-month period during age 13). I was rather surprised to find out I grew another inch when I was 20. Following that, I developed scoliosis, losing 4 inches over the next 20 years. :)

Finally I decided to do something about my curve (which was beginning to exceed 60 degrees) and underwent spinal fusion from T4 to sacrum (about 16 vertebrae, I think). :) After a year of physical therapy and 2 further operations, I had -- happily -- regained 3 inches! :)

Bet you did not think growth could be so "variable" (felt like an accordian for awhile!). Fortunately for me, it is! :(

If one of your arms were x-rayed as a teen, an orthopaedic physician may accurately predict your eventual height. This is done in cases where endocrine or other growth disorders are suspected. On a less scientific basis, one can look at the other siblings, the age of onset of puberty, and any contraindicating factors. Both heavy weight lifting during the latent growth cycle and some prescription inhalers for Rx of asthma and sinusitis can delay growth. With weight lifting, the latent phase growth can be lost. Post d/c inhalers, normal growth usually resumes. Though height can continue to age 25, the average formula may be 95% of height reached at puberty plus 4 years. Then there are the exceptions!

...Both heavy weight lifting during the latent growth cycle and some prescription inhalers for Rx of asthma and sinusitis can delay growth. With weight lifting, the latent phase growth can be lost. Post d/c inhalers, normal growth usually resumes....
I think this is only steroid inhalers. The sympathomimetics (e.g., albuterol) do not have this side effect, I believe.

I think this is only steroid inhalers. The sympathomimetics (e.g., albuterol) do not have this side effect, I believe.

I'm not familiar with the specific meds reported (mid-1990s). The affect was related to dosage, frequency, and length of period used. Any prescribing physician should be familiar with the list. My son was taking one for inflammation of sinuses. I merely instructed him to take it only during the most problematic period of the year, and at a maintenance level.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

actually there are many diff way HGH can be increased in your body, injection is one, there are natural way in your life that you can do to improve hgh production, check out SPAMLINK DELETED it teachs a lot info on how to it the natural way and the artificial way. also try some height increase exercises ...i think url is ANOTHER SPAMLINK DELETED they have documented all the known height increase methods to mankind

• 2 months later...

I have a question about some slightly different.

So I just turned 21. Height isn't much of an issue as much as me looking really young for my age, I look maybe 15-16... What might be the issue here? I never really looked into what I could do, as in I never visited a doctor about it.

I dont think there is much you can do, thats just you. For me it is the opposite when I was 14 people swore to me that I must be over 18 :) can be rather handy while im still underage but my friends are not.

Its funny but this thread is full of people that have only made 1 or 2 posts... :)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...