Science Forums

Science Channel's Top Discoveries

RJGabriele

If I remember my history correctly, philosophy was the "science" before the scientific method. One of the greek philosophers, I forget which one, believed that everything had its "place", i.e. smoke rose because that's where it belonged, water flowed to the oceans because that's were it belonged.

I think it is important to define a few things first, namely the definition of science.

from webster, definition one is

1 : the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding
ok, how can that greek's philosophy be "a state of knowing"
2 a : a department of systematized knowledge as an object of study <the science of theology> b : something (as a sport or technique) that may be studied or learned like systematized knowledge <have it down to a science>
so scientific methodology is inseparable fromscience. before there was scientific methodology, there was no science.

definition number five:

5 capitalized : CHRISTIAN SCIENCE
is this what you mean? oops, this is supposed to be in the other thread...

Well, understanding of just what constitutes science has changed over the years, which was more of my point. Two hundred years ago, it was considered akin to a pursuit of universal truth, trying to discover what was happening in the universe. With the discoveries of Relativity and Quantum Physics, we are abandoning the idea of universal truth to embrace an idea of possibilities and relative truths.