Science Forums

Magnetic Field Line Rockets/jets

andytak3740

Hello Everyone,

This is a concept that had been bouncing around in my head. Is there a feasible way of developing a vehicle to travel across a Planet's Magnetic Field Lines? Is there a way to develop an electromagnetic device that would replicate the effects of a superconductor pinning magnetic fields to hold its position.

In the mess of magnetic field lines that shield our planet, there are many shallower lines that may be capable of sending a ship into orbit. The ship could even field line hop to to change its orbiting distance. Thus can we create a vehicle that can entrap and coast through a magnetic field line and then hop its way into space and reduce the amount of fuel required to reach Karman Line? 

Said vehicle could turn on the electromagnetic device partway through takeoff and reduce the amount of thrust required to keep it aloft. Then at its apex, turn off the device and blast off (Hop) to the next and larger field line. The pilots of the craft will continue to do this to gradually reach their desired height. Could this then be used to possibly reach the moon or other planets without using much fuel?

Would this type of flight even reduce fuel cost or increase it?  

What do y'all think?

Hello Everyone,

This is a concept that had been bouncing around in my head. Is there a feasible way of developing a vehicle to travel across a Planet's Magnetic Field Lines? Is there a way to develop an electromagnetic device that would replicate the effects of a superconductor pinning magnetic fields to hold its position.

In the mess of magnetic field lines that shield our planet, there are many shallower lines that may be capable of sending a ship into orbit. The ship could even field line hop to to change its orbiting distance. Thus can we create a vehicle that can entrap and coast through a magnetic field line and then hop its way into space and reduce the amount of fuel required to reach Karman Line?

Said vehicle could turn on the electromagnetic device partway through takeoff and reduce the amount of thrust required to keep it aloft. Then at its apex, turn off the device and blast off (Hop) to the next and larger field line. The pilots of the craft will continue to do this to gradually reach their desired height. Could this then be used to possibly reach the moon or other planets without using much fuel?

Would this type of flight even reduce fuel cost or increase it?

What do y'all think?

I don’t think it can save energy. The amount of energy needed to get a given mass into orbit is independent of the means of propulsion.

I’m also not sure how you would use the magnetic field to propel the craft. A current in a wire will feel a force, certainly, but if you have a circuit, the current flows across the field lines in both directions, one side cancelling the propulsive effect of the other.

But maybe someone else will have some ideas.

Edited by exchemist

The ship could even field line hop to to change its orbiting distance.

This one's feasible, but not really practical. I seem to remember a theoretical magnetic engine for long term study of Jupiter or Saturn, but IIRC it's theoretical.

In the mess of magnetic field lines that shield our planet, there are many shallower lines that may be capable of sending a ship into orbit.

They'd need to be on the order of tesla(unit) to be useful IIRC. So, no not really. Think of why piercings aren't allowed near MRI.

• 2 weeks later...

This one's feasible, but not really practical. I seem to remember a theoretical magnetic engine for long term study of Jupiter or Saturn, but IIRC it's theoretical.

They'd need to be on the order of tesla(unit) to be useful IIRC. So, no not really. Think of why piercings aren't allowed near MRI.

Thanks for the insight. It cleared up a few things.