Science Forums

Orville Vs Discovery, Round Two. Fight!

GAHD

So, I've had the opportunity to watch a couple episodes of both in my downtime recently.

I have to say...I think Orville wins again as far as Roddenberry successor goes.

So far I've seen Orville use some great framing and narratives to explore concepts and culture. The first contact with a culture obsessed with astrology to the point of internment camps and whatnot was a great allegory for racism and culture clash. Strong examination of relationship issues and addiction in another episode too. They get it right.

Discovery however...I think I'm going to turn down my buddy next time they want me to watch it with them. Nothing but Mary Sue, no tension, overacting for both the major Mary Sue characters and really bad "oh poor me" overacting at that. Which magically goes away so they can suddenly become the only experts on the ship in literally EVERYTHING the other people are supposed to be SPECIALIZED in. The degradation of their "mushroom navigator" character into a two dimensional sad sack with no function... It's an empty husk. It's writers need to be run out of town, it's like they want the whole show to be a Wesley. And we all know the only thing he's good for. I actually cheered on all the inanimate threats, I WANT the crew to die. It would be an improvement.

Any other weigh-ins?