Science Forums

What Would Happen To A Photon If I Stopped It In A Vacuum?

uservt2018

The only system with enough electric charge density to suspend a beam of photons is a planck particle & those don't last very long.

What about a situation in which gravity could be manipulated to make the photon stop?

Using black holes for example, to make the light beam stop in vacuum (put many holes on space and see that light wouldn't take a direction depending on the position of the holes), what would happen to the photon?

Edited by uservt2018

In other words the suspension will be brief & not very energetic, or prolonged & energetic like an active galactic core.

I consider that the photon has no zero mass (it tends to zero actually), taking into consideration that it would be stopped by the force of gravity, do you think that it would have a mass increase or even an energy emission of another kind of radiation? Could you say more about this photon?

"Mass" is just a word. What matters is the association with that word. In an expanding matter dominated universe, as opposed to let's say a collapsing anti-matter dominated universe, mass is just that which is being negated by the energy contained within our parallel universe' continuum.

Wait bro what I want to know is wheter the photon will have a mass increase when stopped with gravity or not, it could emit a strange radiation instead... I'm just wondering here. Any clue?

And I'm pointing out that I would use black holes to do that, this radiation would be very strong so what it could surpass the force of gravity.

Edited by uservt2018

AFAICT. there's no experiment experiment that has ever "Stopped" light; everyone just "trapped" it. EG https://phys.org/news/2013-08-physicists-motion-minute.html

Black holes don't "stop" photons, they bend their trajectory till it's at right or acute angles to it's origin.

For an analogy. Consider a bubble wand.
61uGIBDCniL._SX425_.jpg
The soap film stretched across the loop can be thought of as a space fabric, and light is allowed to move around from one part of the loop to any other part, but it has to follow the film. Blowing on it alightly you distort that film, and light has to take more and more curved trajectories to get to where it's going the harder you blow. Eventually, if you blow hard enough, the film bends back onto itself and light has to take an Omega-shaped trajectory to get to it's destination.
https://image.freepik.com/free-icon/omega_318-40112.jpg

That Omega-shape making it take several times as much distance as a straight trajectory.
Blow a little harder than that and the legs of the omega close on themselves and you're left with a bubble, and the bubble's not attached to either side of the loop anymore. That's how a black hole works, kinda. 
6Pcs-Bubble-Wand-Tool-Soap-Bubble-Concen

Even the "fun shapes" of bubble wands serve to show how multiple massive objects making a complex barycenter can do the same effect.

The trapped beam trick is more often done by manipulation of the optical properties of a medium while the light beam is inside it, usually by manipulating it's refractive index past a similar event horizon.