Science Forums

Can E=Mc² Be Explained Using Fluid Dynamics?

neuromaton

The recent oil-drop experiments that have shown that Quantum Mechanics can be integrated into a model of a underlying superfluid substrate can also mean that we can try to integrate E=mc² into a model of the behaviour of liquids.

And this can be done by analysing how Sonoluminescence is created. With Sonoluminescence the collapse of artificially created bubbles (maintained by soundwaves) in a liquid medium leads to a release of potential energy that even produces light.

So we can now assume that the energy released is directly proportional to the size of the collapsing bubble (equal to the displaced body of the medium due to the existence of the bubble), and depending on the properties of the medium. Those properties of the medium can be summarized in the speed of sound (squared) in the medium, because the speed of sound incorporates all the aspects of the medium that are relevant for a reaction to pressure disturbances, Compressibility and Density.

As in c²= Bulk Modulus/Density, where the inverse of the Bulk Modulus gives the Compressibility.

This should lead to the simplified equation E=V*c²

where E is the potential energy that can be released by a collapse of
the bubble (assuming the bubble is empty)
and V is the displaced body of the medium due to the existence of the
bubble, equal to the volume of the bubble.

If we apply this to E=mc² we would have to assume that mass indicates the displaced body of a medium due to the existence of a bubble, which would have serious consequencies.

links:

oil-drop experiments: https://www.wired.com/2014/06/the-new-quantum-reality/

Sonoluminescence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoluminescence

Welcome to hypography, Neuromaton! :) Greetings from a fellow automaton built out of neurons (if I’m catching the intended meaning of you member name)

Please feel free to start a topic in the introductions forum to tell us something about yourself.

The recent oil-drop experiments that have shown that Quantum Mechanics can be integrated into a model of a underlying superfluid substrate ...

We need to be careful not to confuse analogies used to explore and better understand theories with the underlying reality the theories seek to explain.

The oil drop experiments by Yves Couder and others’ described in Natalie Wolchover’s 2014 Quanta Magazine article “Fluid Tests Hint at Concrete Quantum Reality” aren’t meant to imply that the underlying cause of the microscopic behavior of reality predicted by a given theory of quantum mechanics is the result of a the dynamics of a physically real fluid, but that real fluids can be used to make macroscopic simulations of this behavior.

The underlying quantum mechanical theory Couder’s oil drop experiments explore is De Broglie–Bohm theory, a kind of “pilot wave” theory. Pilot wave theories of quantum mechanics are interesting and credible, but perhaps regrettably not taught more than passingly to most students. Perhaps the leading champion of them is Mike Towler – I found his lecture “Not even wrong. Why does nobody like pilot-wave theory?” from the course he gave at Cambridge through 2009, “De Broglie-Bohm pilot-wave theory and the foundations of quantum mechanics”, though light-hearted in the way good lectures often are, a good introduction to the history of pilot wave theories.

My impression is that pilot wave theories are interesting mostly for their philosophical implications, not because they are better than more mainstream theories at predicting the behavior of reality. These philosophical features are deep, so in the interest of not overcrowding this post, I won’t expand further on them here.

... can also mean that we can try to integrate E=mc² into a model of the behaviour of liquids.

And this can be done by analysing how Sonoluminescence is created. With Sonoluminescence the collapse of artificially created bubbles (maintained by soundwaves) in a liquid medium leads to a release of potential energy that even produces light.

I find that an attractive idea.

But, as I went on about above, we can’t safely assume that because de Broglie–Bohm theory can be explored by analogy using the surfaces of a fluid, mass-energy can be explained by bubbles within the bulk of fluids.

To pursue your idea that mass-energy is analogous to bubbles, we’d have to describe it formally in the mathematics of pilot wave theory. This is over my head technically (I have only a BS in Math, and a long career in computer programming). Even among professional physicist, deep familiarity with Bohm’s interpretation is, I think rare. There aren’t a lot of people prepared to run with your [math]m c^2 = E \approx V c^2[/math] idea – what I’ll call for lack of a better name “bubble-energy equivalence”, BEQ for short.

Of couse you exist, Neuromaton, with the vast resources of the internet and Earth’s educational systems at hand. I’d enjoy seeing where you can go with the idea.

My first question is “what experiment could distinguish BEQ from the standard model of quantum mechanics?” I’m guessing that the key distinction is that, while in the SM, mass-energy is a quality requiring no physical volume, in BEQ its in some way proportional to volume. Is there some experiment where BEQ predictions that particles passing close to one another follow different trajectories than predicted by the SM because of this distinction?

First off: Thank you for your in-depth answer. And yes, you caught on quickly to the meaning of my name. Probably because of your programming background.

I am aware that the oil-drop experiments can only be seen as an analogy at this point. But I believe that they go much further than that.

I will have a look at the links that you posted. Give me some time for this.

You have been asking for an experiment that could distinguish the standard model from my model. And yes, I can provide such an experiment. I did not just "come up" with the BEQ (thank you for giving it a name), it was a consequence of an extensive theory, that I have been working on. As you might be expecting, it is an Aether theory, based on a superfluid substrate. It should include all the reasons that make it so "invisible" to us.

I have taken the Mass-Energy equivalence out of it, so I might get people interested in it. So far this has not worked very well ;-) But there is still hope.

The experiment is designed to prove the existence of the pilot wave of our planet, and therefore the absolute vector of motion, which is proof of the aether. In my theory the pilot wave will have effects that can be measured as a change in Gravity. Those changes are so small that we could have missed them, and my design is meant to maximize this effect.

Unfortunately my theory is quite complicated. But you might still be interested, since it will not require you to have much background in Math (surprise). But it is a long read.

You can find it at https://neuromaton.wordpress.com

The experiment is described at the end of the text.