Science Forums

Will Graphing Same Plant Work?

gayro

I bought a hydrangea plant and on the way home it fell over, a large branch split almost off. My question is can I graph it back on, it is still attached to the big plant so I guess it would get nourishment from the rest of the plant. I pushed the two pieces together and wondered if it would work. I was thinking about taping the two pieces together before it got a chance to dry out. Any suggestions, I have wanted a hydrangea for a long time and hate to think I ruined this pretty plant.

I bought a hydrangea plant and on the way home it fell over, a large branch split almost off. My question is can I graph it back on, it is still attached to the big plant so I guess it would get nourishment from the rest of the plant. I pushed the two pieces together and wondered if it would work. I was thinking about taping the two pieces together before it got a chance to dry out. Any suggestions, I have wanted a hydrangea for a long time and hate to think I ruined this pretty plant.

I think it has a good chance of working, especially with some remaining attachment. If you have some wax paper, cut it in strips and wind it tightly around the join before you use any tape. The chemicals in tape adhesive will certainly not help such a dire circumstance. You could use wraps of string if you have it, instead of tape, to hold the wax paper. With the wound wound, gently tie on a spling splint that extends beyond either side of the break. Keep the plant watered and out of direct sun until it becomes evident the branch is making it or no. :rose: :wilted:

Alternatively, cut the branch & try to root it using a rooting hormone available at garden shops. Voila!! Two plants for 1!! :bouquet: (Put the now bald spot of the parent plant to the back of your planting. ;) ) Once established, just try & stop a hydrangea from new branching.

PS It's grafting, not graphing. This may help if you are searching the term.

Edited by Turtle