Science Forums

Out of focus

deamonstar

I am considering asking for a new 2"focuser for my 8" newt telescope for x-mas. the original rack and pinion one on mine is worthless. it has a serious wobble which makes it very hard to keep an object in focus. the focus lock is of minimal help as I kinda have to get an object slightly out of focus so that when I do lock it in it will refocus itself. if not out of focus, it will certainly be slightly out of alignment, leaving me with distorted images.

I would like some recomendations on the various types of focusers (preferrably from first-hand experience) within a reasonable pricerange.

Is the focuser on your scope currently a 2"? If not, you'll have to do a bit of work, but not much to get one on.

From my personal experience, I think the 2" Rack-and-Pinion from Orion HERE might be all you need, and at a nice price ($39). I believe it is very similar to the one on my XT10", and it is a very smooth focuser. No problems focusing at high-powers with it, no detectable wobble and the movements are slack-free and tight. The focuser lock doesn't do a lot, but it does tighten the focusing up a bit more when I need very minute adjustments.

Now, if you want a little better quality one, you could get one of their Precision Rack-&-Pinion Focusers. A lot higher than the other one ($99) though, and I don't have any experience with it.

As you probably know however, the JMI focusers are some of the best. In what I figure is your price range, you could get one of the RCF-1 Reverse Crayfords ($99). But I have no experience with these.

Noah