Science Forums

Healthy McDonalds

Monomer

Meal alterations and $330,000 has enabled McDonalds to earn the National Heart Foundation’s "Tick". It seems that the fast-food giant is tired of all the blame it has received for the obese kids and now wants to do something good. From the end of February, restaurants accross Australia will be serving new meals.

$330,000 buys Maccas the tick of approval - National - theage.com.au

Salt, sugar and trans fat has moved aside in favour of salads and lean meat. So rather than the old burger, fries and a coke, you can get a burger, salad and water or juice.

So for those who are rather fond of the Golden Arches, are you pleased with the change in nutritional value of the food, or do you go there because you like the salty, sugary, fatty meal?

For those of you who have avoided that particular "junk" food, would you be more willing to eat there now the food is healthier?

It's clearly a step in the right direction, if this illustrates a greater desire for change, since they feed so many people. I won't change my visitation to Mickey Ds as a result of this change, but appreciate the effort and the precedence it sets.

Fast food is chosen because... it's fast and it's easy. The only time I eat fast food is when I'm caught up in meetings or on conference calls and have 20 minutes to find sustenance. It's the fastest fast food in near proximity that tends to fill the stomach pit, not chosen due to the healthiness of the product.

Were it overall health that dictated my choice, I'd luncheon at the farmer's or fish market. However, that's just not realistic. I am glad that now that such a leader in the grab and go food delivery has engendered an advance of this sort that others will follow suit and large groups of people will benefit as a result.

Not all castles are white. :confused:

I agree that it's a step in the right direction. McDonalds is incredibly popular and it could be a risk to change the menu like that, but at least the company realises the negative impact it's having on health because of the high salt, sugar and fat content in its food.

I'm not a big fan of fast food because I detest salty, fatty food (quite like my sugar though...:confused: ). I'd usually end up at Subway, but now I'll have another option.