Science Forums

The American Wild West/Old West

maikeru

Are there any folks here who are interested in the history of the American or Old West? I live out here in the West, and though I've grown up with a lot of the history and tales embedded in my childhood, I haven't developed a deep and thorough knowledge of its history. Also, a lot of the information I received early on was biased or questionable at best due to cultural/religious influences.

Would anyone have any suggestions for reading materials (books, journals) and articles? Preferably ones which list reputable sources, are scholarly, peer-reviewed, or actual historical accounts or narratives.

I've always loved reading and learning about other cultures and their histories, but maybe I need to do a little more digging into my own.

I come from family filled with historians, and my mom actually got her master's degree in California History. So I'll play definitely!

A couple of suggestions:

• The Frontier In American History by Frederick Jackson Turner: This is the must-read before all other books on the west. The link here takes you to a full online, searchable version (its hard to find printed copies of it but they're floating around)
  • The World Rushed In http://www.amazon.com/World-Rushed-California-Gold-Experience/dp/067125538X/ by J.S.Holliday: This is *the* definitive book on the Gold Rush and destroys many of the myths. (Full disclosure: Jim, who died last year was a family friend, but you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who disagrees)

That should keep you busy for a while....

All creative people should be required to leave California for three months every year, :confused:

Buffy

Are there any folks here who are interested in the history of the American or Old West? I live out here in the West, and though I've grown up with a lot of the history and tales embedded in my childhood, I haven't developed a deep and thorough knowledge of its history. Also, a lot of the information I received early on was biased or questionable at best due to cultural/religious influences.

Would anyone have any suggestions for reading materials (books, journals) and articles? Preferably ones which list reputable sources, are scholarly, peer-reviewed, or actual historical accounts or narratives.

I've always loved reading and learning about other cultures and their histories, but maybe I need to do a little more digging into my own.

I love the history of the American Old West. :read: :clue: :Guns: I live about 30 miles from the terminus of the Oregon Trail and I have travelled widely throughout the West. I recommend the journals of Lewis & Clark, and as luck has it I just found us a new complete online copy of over 5000 pages. :hihi:

Forward >>>> Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition

:) :cup:

Love the Old West! Prolly cause I'm also from a pioneer country, and can relate to the trials and travails of the American settlers, wrestling an untamed land into submission.

If you find history books boring, but want to experience the flavour and texture of how it was in the Old West, I strongly recommend Michener's 'Texas' and 'Centennial'. Fictional, of course, but the backdrops and backgrounds to these stories are incredible, and gives you a very vibrant and colourful 'feel' to what the West was about.

Mmm, a lot of good recommendations in so short a time! Looks like I'll stare at the computer screen reading until my eyes burn out. Turner's thesis, the Gold Rush, and more... Lewis and Clark, last time I heard about them was AP US history in high school (but that was ages ago). InfiniteNow, I'll also put Deadwood in my Amazon cart. HBO movies can be pretty good, in my experience.

Boersun, you're from South Africa, no? I've seen a famous movie mini-series from a while back called Shaka Zulu, and while I can't attest for its authenticy, the landscape and feel of South Africa reminded me much of my own surroundings. Mountains, deserts, rivers, plains...a fierce land with diverse peoples in them. I live near the Wasatch Mountains, which are a part of the Rockies. This used to be Indian country at one time.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year's highly acclaimed mini-series Into The West covers the period from 1800-1890. For a Native American viewpoint Dee Brown's Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee is a must read and Mari Sandoz's Crazy Horse and Cheyenne Autunm are excellent. Anything by Robert Utley is good, but his biography of Sitting Bull is superb. Several surveys 500 Nations and The West are fine too. Even General George Armstrong Custer's My Life On The Plains is insightful.

• 2 weeks later...