Science Forums

A HOT Cure for Diabetes

erich

A HOT Cure for Diabetes, and maybe a better understanding of the autoimmune nature of MS

This Hot Pepper story in the National Review of Medicine I thinks spells out the work in a little more detail than several other stories I've seen.

It mentioned about the mice being cured for four months.

Am I correct in assuming that due to life cycle/metabolism differences, that means 15-20 years for us human diabetics?

:

NRM: Canadian team cracks type I diabetes code

NRM: Canadian team cracks type I diabetes code

Erich

erich,

Thank you for the eye opening article. :soapbox:

I've since read about 15-20 sites on the topic, and found some basic level information that was still useful at the following:

Diabetes In Control - Chili Extract A Possible Cure for Diabetes

Using diabetes-prone NOD mice, the gold-standard diabetes model, the research group learned how to treat the abnormality by supplying neuropeptides and even reversed established diabetes.

“The major discovery was that removal of sensory neurons expressing the receptor TRPV1 neurons in NOD mice prevented islet cell inflammation and diabetes in most animals, which led us to fundamentally new insights into the mechanisms of this disease. Disease protection occurred despite the fact that autoimmunity continues in the animals. This helped us to focus our studies on finding the new control circuit in the islets.”

Strikingly, injection of the neuropeptide substance P cleared islet inflammation in NOD mice within a day and independently normalized the elevated insulin resistance normally associated with the disease. The two effects synergized to reverse diabetes without severely toxic immunosuppression.

Cheers. :D

Also last week there was this article that gum disease may be linked to more serious health problems, in this case pancreatic cancer.

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

Seems inflammation is a much bigger villain than anyone expected.

Since I can't get the story to stay linked , here's the text:

VITAL EVIDENCE

Gum Disease, Pancreatic Cancer May Be Linked

Wednesday, January 17, 2007; Page A02

Scientists have new evidence that gum disease may be linked to more serious health problems, in this case pancreatic cancer.

The researchers stressed that the findings need to be confirmed and explored by additional research, but it is not the first time that periodontal disease has been associated with other serious illness. Previous research suggested that people with infected gums may be more prone to heart disease.

Over time, the bacterial infection that causes gum disease can also cause loss of the bone that anchors the teeth, and the inflammation from the infection may set the stage for other serious diseases.

Pancreatic cancer strikes more than 33,000 Americans each year and kills more than 30,000, making it the fourth-leading cause of cancer death.

For the study, Dominique S. Michaud of the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston and colleagues analyzed data from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study, which has gathered data about a wide range of health issues from 51,529 American men.

After taking other factors into consideration, such as age, smoking, diabetes and body mass index, the researchers found that the men with gum disease were 63 percent more likely to develop pancreatic cancer than those without gum disease. Non-smokers with gum disease were twice as likely to develop the hard-to-treat cancer as those with healthy gums.

"Our study provides the first strong evidence that periodontal disease may increase the risk of pancreatic cancer," said Michaud, who reported the findings in today's issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

-- Rob Stein

• 4 months later...

I just saw another article on this awesome research. It came before the articles posted already, but is paradigm shifting in many ways. :turtle:

Diabetes breakthrough

The treatment and diagnosis of neuropathic diseases is poised to take a dramatic leap forward because of the impressive research.

<...>

Suspecting a link between the nerves and diabetes, he and Dr. Salter used an old experimental trick -- injecting capsaicin, the active ingredient in hot chili peppers, to kill the pancreatic sensory nerves in mice that had an equivalent of Type 1 diabetes.

Then we had the biggest shock of our lives," Dr. Dosch said. Almost immediately, the islets began producing insulin normally "It was a shock ? really out of left field, because nothing in the literature was saying anything about this."

It turns out the nerves secrete neuropeptides that are instrumental in the proper functioning of the islets.

• 1 year later...

A soil 'wee beastie' commonly found on potatoes and other root vegetables is implicated in the CAUSE of Type 1 diabetes

The incidence of Type 1 diabetes has been increasing at a rate too rapid to be due to changes in genetic risk.

Instead changes in environmental factors are the likely culpritin particular dietary toxins derived from Streptomyces in infected root vegetables, can impart additional stress that aggravates beta cell death and progression to diabetes. Furthermore, we propose that the increasing incidence of Type 1 diabetes may be accounted for by increased dietary exposure to ER-stress-inducing Streptomyces toxins.

IngentaConnect Dietary Toxins, Endoplasmic Reticulum (ER) Stress and Diabetes

TB related Mechanism;

1. The potential "cure" involves a drug (BCG) that is routinely given to infants and children all over the world to vaccinate them against tuberculosis. It is cheap and approved and readily available right now.

2. Because of # 1, there is very little money to be made if this works. Drug companies are not interested and have said so.

3. The medical establishment and drug company establishment have already made some pretty deplorable personal attacks. Trying to block Denise Faustman's Research? I hope we are allowed to link to another forum, because this is an excellent synopsis.

4.In spite of the fact that the MGH Clinical Trials are in their beginning stages, they will go more quickly because of #1. If even a few autoimmune responses are removed, it will be a success. Hopefully our weird Killer T cells will also be eliminated (they are the target in this study.) There is reason for hope on this one.

children with DIABETES - Research into a Cure - Dr. Faustman

Here's the web page to apply for the Study,

the cut off age for the clinical study is 45, but I hope they will take me because at 53 I show no sign of any diabetic complications after 39 years with type 1.

Wish me luck

Cheers,

Erich

Determination of Dosing and Frequency of BCG Administration to Alter T-Lymphocyte Profiles in Type I Diabetics - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Determination of Dosing and Frequency of BCG Administration to Alter T-Lymphocyte Profiles in Type I Diabetics - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov