Science Forums

Sql

TINNY

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i know, i know... but how does a database manages a table? why the need for both tables and databases. why not just tables/databases manage fields right away?
Huh?:D

A database consists of tables which consist of fields which contain data. The database also contains system information like user data, security privileges, indices etc.

This is simply a matter of organisation. If you have a database with no tables then it cannot hold data. If you have a database with one table it can hold as much information as the server is capable of.

If you have a text file containing data then you can say that you have a "table" of data but you do not have a database.

It's like with a crate of beer. Each crate contains 24 cans of beer, which each contain the actual beer. You can have 24 different cans of beer as long as they fit in the crate. You can move them all over the place, require that some of them be dependent on the content of other cans etc, they can have labels and colors and different levels of alcohol etc. Now, if you buy a different case then the beer cans might not fit because the case may have been made for other things, like plastic bottles. Then you will need a different database server. Or you may decide you only need one kind of beer, in which case it still makes sense to have a crate because it's easier to carry the beer that way.

So it is with data - a database lets you store data in fields which are organized in tables which are organized in the database.

Er...geddit? Cheers.

The database also contains system information like user data, security privileges, indices etc.
oh, i see now. but why not incorporate that function in tables and so, get rid of databases
This is simply a matter of organisation. If you have a database with no tables then it cannot hold data. If you have a database with one table it can hold as much information as the server is capable of.

If you have a text file containing data then you can say that you have a "table" of data but you do not have a database.

of course. that's mere tautology.

So it is with data - a database lets you store data in fields which are organized in tables which are organized in the database.

so there are no differences between tables and databases. it's just a name is it? like a few layers of folders in My Computer. Why have many drives when you should just have one drive and separate things in folders of that one drive

oh, i see now. but why not incorporate that function in tables and so, get rid of databases

of course. that's mere tautology

I think you completely misunderstand the point of the database. It is a way to organize data through the use of tables. You can't detach the tables from the database...the database is the wrapper for the tables.

Each table can have many users, privileges etc. The database handles this by storing this info in a centralized location. If each table was to function as a database, then you would have to query each and every table everytime you needed information from two tables which are related. The database takes care of all those things for you.

so there are no differences between tables and databases. it's just a name is it? like a few layers of folders in My Computer. Why have many drives when you should just have one drive and separate things in folders of that one drive

Again, you misunderstand. The analogy is not correct. The database is not a folder system. It is the operating system. The tables are not nested folders, but reside in parallell inside the database.

You can also see the database as the shell through which data is stored and retrieved. You send a command to the database, it performs the command, returns the data. So the database is what you need to be able to use the tables. :D

Each table can have many users, privileges etc. The database handles this by storing this info in a centralized location. If each table was to function as a database, then you would have to query each and every table everytime you needed information from two tables which are related. The database takes care of all those things for you.
ohhh, i see. why didn't you say so earlier on. i'm a total newbie. don't expect my questions to be too deep.

Again, you misunderstand. The analogy is not correct. The database is not a folder system. It is the operating system. The tables are not nested folders, but reside in parallell inside the database.

You can also see the database as the shell through which data is stored and retrieved. You send a command to the database, it performs the command, returns the data. So the database is what you need to be able to use the tables. :D

yes, yesss. now i understand.

just can't sleep at the moment... FT got my adrenaline rushing a few hours ago so i'm wide awake till now.

• 1 month later...