Science Forums

Hiccups

Racoon

I used to get the hiccups alot, but not so much anymore.

Hiccups are caused by involuntary contractions of the diaphragm, which in turn are caused by eating too much, or the wrong types of food, or eating too fast and swallowing too much air in the process.

A cure which seems to work for me is to drink some orange juice or some other acidic fruit juice and this settles the diaphragm.

Other cures I know about are holding your breath, drinking a cold glass of water, having someone scare you and breathing into a paper bag. I also found a couple of others; eating a spoonful of sugar and gently massaging the back of the roof of your mouth with a cotton swab for a minute or so.

Apparently if the vagus nerve is stimulated the hiccups will go away, so pulling on your tongue might also work.

Hiccups

Hiccups: Causes and cures - MayoClinic.com

I got some hiccups..

Once in a while I will get them, but what causes them, and is there any "folk medicine" to cure it?

Try pouring yourself an 8 oz. glass of water and drink it down completely without taking a breath of air. Works every time for me...........................................Infy

Try pouring yourself an 8 oz. glass of water and drink it down completely without taking a breath of air. Works every time for me...........................................Infy

That works well for me too. Another effective cure (but not to everyone's taste!) is swallowing about a tablespoon of vinegar. I suppose this works in the same way as Monomer's orange juice cure.

When I have the hiccups, I have it violently! It hurts! It feels like my diaphragm wants to strangle my kidneys! And it goes on for hours...

...but what works like a charm, is Chacmool's vinegar solution - although a tablespoon is a bit small for me. I guess it has something to do with bodyweight, or something, but I normally fill a double-shot glass with vinegar, grin and bear it, and toss the bastard back. Right there, the hiccups stop dead in their tracks.

What really hurts, is when you yawn - and your lungs are filled to capacity, and then you have a whopper of a hic!

Try vinegar - it works. You can always have something for the heartburn after... :)

...but what works like a charm, is Chacmool's vinegar solution - although a tablespoon is a bit small for me. I guess it has something to do with bodyweight, or something, but I normally fill a double-shot glass with vinegar, grin and bear it, and toss the bastard back. Right there, the hiccups stop dead in their tracks.

Like I posted earlier, the acidic fruit juice works for me, so if vinegar works for you there must be something about acidity that relaxes the diaphragm. Although, I'd take the fruit juice over vinegar anyday!

Hiccups is caused by diaphragmatic myoclonus and can have several causes. Often is is sporadic (like a local tic) but sometimes they can be particularly potracted and VERY difficult to stop.

Other causes include:

- Diaphragmatic irritation (e.g. Subphrenic abcess, blood etc.,)

- Spinal cord injury

- Certain metabolic derangements (which cause generalised myoclonus, e.g. calcium)

- Lesions (rarely seizures) affecting hiccup centre in the brain stem

- Lesion of the splenium of the corpus callosum (not sure why, but it does which is interesting)

Though there are many treatments, one highly effective one is GASTRIC DISTENSION. That is what is described with the swallowing air or lots of water. Basically it inhibits the hiccup reflex. A similar effect can be achieved with methyl cellulose which they give to folk who eat too much, basically swells in the stomach stopping them feel hungry.

There are a great many other treatments, but it all gets very pharmacological and academic.... Not sure why acid works though, I'll have a think...