Science Forums

Big Bang Blasted

Eduffy80911

I don't think you're lying, I just tink that CERN was talking about electric charge. Any hadron is color-neutral and I don't think we have any observation of the charge for single quarks.

Not that I went into QCD all that deeply, despite that hadronic diffraction was central to my grad thesis, but I don't think that a definite assignment is even formally necessary, to match with phenomenology. As far as I can see, it would even be difficult to reconcile with color-neutrality of hadrons whose net composition has two quarks of the same species, such as the proton being 2 ups and 1 down. Do you have info to the contrary?

Anti-red is simply a superposition of (non-anti) blue and green. The strong charges work exactly like our visual perception of colour, that's why the name was chosen. Just like the three primary colours red, green and blue can be rotated around into an alternative triplet, so can the charges of QCD.

I was only joking of course I don't think you are thinking that I'm lying to you. It was a JOKE.

I never said we had direct observation for single quarks it's just that the results of scattering experiments are only explained by the Quark Model.

Of course any hadron is color neutral I never said anything to the contrary.

Do I have info to the contrary of what exactly ?

I had only originally posted because I spotted a very small mistake by BOERSUN that was it.

It was not meant as an attack on him but merely as an aid to his original explanation to another person.

And then I posted again after CraigD as it seemed to me he was implying I wasn't posting enough web links to back up my claims from independent sources, so I posted from Cern.

That was it.

Cheers

:)

The fact that anti-quarks carry anti-color can be readily verified by looking at the observed quarkoniums (bottomonium, charmonium)- bound states of a quark and its own anti-quark.

The mathematical reason, for those so inclined, is that QCD is built out of the SU(3) gauge group, and if its quarks transform in the fundamental representation, the anti-quarks have to transform in the anti-fundamental representation. If we think of QED as a U(1) gauge theory, this same fundamental/anti-fundamental need explains why anti-particles have opposite charges.

-Will

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, just saying hello. Boerseun, I am intrigued by your handle and stylised "voormalige" SA flag :turtle:. Are you a radio astronomer, perhaps at HartRAO? Harry Costas, are you still with us? If you would contact me directly, there is something I would like to discuss with you.

Cheers

Hilton

ASSA

[email protected]

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, just saying hello. Boerseun, I am intrigued by your handle and stylised "voormalige" SA flag :phones:. Are you a radio astronomer, perhaps at HartRAO? Harry Costas, are you still with us? If you would contact me directly, there is something I would like to discuss with you.

Hi there, Hilton, and welcome to Hypo!

Nope - contrary to popular belief, it's not the "voormalige" (former) SA flag, rather, it's the flag of the old Transvaal Republic, founded by the Boers, which was a totally seperate country and predated the Union of South Africa by more than half a century. This flag, however, was incorporated into the old South African flag, which also included the old Free State republic's flag, as well as the Union Jack, all enclosed in the old Dutch flag. But I digress! Also, I'm not a radio astronomer, I'm in advertising.

But that being that, besides my above signature explanation, we're currently discussing flavours and colours of quarks and other subatomic particles. Are we not driftin' ever so slightly off-course in our quest to attend to the matters raised in the original post? :)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the welcomes, and thanks also to Boerseun for the historical information. I should have noticed the vertical green bar.

Coldcreation, I fear that what i wanted to tell Harry - that my new book on cosmology is now available on Amazon - would raise the ire of the moderators, and I'm terrified of them. Anyway, poor old Harry is not always welcome to discuss things on science forums :(. Before Boerseun gets mad with me for straying from the topic, let me hasten to say that I didn't fully understand the thrust of this thread from the title, but now I do, and must admit that subatomic physics is not my field of expertise. However, I like the general tone of this discussion, and will keep an eye on it to see if I can contribute meaningfully from the point of view of a conventionally educated (I mean, nothing spectacular) astrophysicist and astronomer.

Kind regards

Hilton :)

Hi Coldcreation,

I received your private post, thank you, but was unable to reply to it (I was told my box was full - only your message - and my reply could not be sent until I emptied it, and when I did, obviously your message was gone). I can post my reply here if that's ok with the moderators, or if you would like to contact me directly on [email protected] I will send my reply to your email address.

Regards

Hilton

Hilton, until you have 10 posts you are only allowed 1 single PM. So you need to go to your PM page and delete the one you sent before you can send or receive another.

Reaching ten posts is quick enough, just visit some of our other threads and post a few comments and you'll get up to speed.

And it's not against our rules to post about your own book, as long as you drop the "marketing" speak. :)

Coldcreation, I fear that what i wanted to tell Harry - that my new book on cosmology is now available on Amazon - would raise the ire of the moderators, and I'm terrified of them.
A little fear is healthy! :confused:

When you reach 10 posts and gain the ability to post links, you can both promote your book and support hypography by linking to amazon via hypography’s bookstore. Just search via the preceding link (which is also on the top right of the site banner), and post a link to the resulting page. For example, here’s a link to “The Virtue of Heresy”.

Going through the hypography bookstore provides a small per-purchase income to hypography, which helps Tormod pay the bills. :winknudge: