Science Forums

Open Office

Aki

Anyone use Open Office? I've had it for over a year now, and I must say it's really good. It does the same job as Microsoft Office, only it's completely FREE! If you don't want to spend a hundred dollars on office software, use Open Office, it's highly recommended.

Yes. I installed it, tried it, uninstalled it. For some reason it runs very slow on my system, MUCH slower than Office. But I hear that v2 is coming up and will give that a shot.

My PC is so full of junk that it may very well be something else that was making problems. I recommend OpenOffice to anyone - it does work and yes, it is completely free.

Well, i have office 2k3 in windows, because i'm lazy to download OpenOffice. And i have OpenOffice in Linux, not that i use it much, but i have it and i do use it at times. OpenOffice is great, i think its better than MsOffice in many ways, big one being that its one app that handles everything not 6-7 whatever it is that MsOffice has; you are writing a paper and editing a PPT in MsOffice = two separate apps running = lots of space used, use OOffice and one app = lots less space used, its like Firefox vs IE...

I recently switched to Latex for all my paper needs, it's really great, yeah you need to learn a little new markup language, but Latex makes your paper look so good, its worth it...

think its better than MsOffice in many ways, big one being that its one app that handles everything not 6-7 whatever it is that MsOffice has; you are writing a paper and editing a PPT in MsOffice = two separate apps running = lots of space used, use OOffice and one app = lots less space used, its like Firefox vs IE...
but if you're just using one app, like word processor, then OOfice would take more memory cause it loads the whole app which supposedly will load the tablesheet app to memory even if you don't use it.