Science Forums

User Infraction System FAQ

Killean

What is the User Infraction System?

The user infraction system is a tool used by the staff to ensure members interact according to the rules of Hypography, and learn quickly from mistakes. If a rule is broken, the staff can place an infraction mark on the post which is out of line, and this mark will remain on a user's profile both for the duration of the infraction period and after the infraction period has expired. The staff will use these notes in an attempt to recognize offensive posting patterns sooner and to help prevent problems among our membership.

How do I avoid getting an infraction?

The easiest way to ensure you are not breaking the rules is to be kind and considerate to all members. However, there are other issues the staff will be monitoring, such as posting original/copywritten content, using proper rules of grammar, and supporting one's arguments. There are other rules not referenced here, so it's suggested that you look through the Hypography Rules page to help eliminate any confusion. The infraction system was implemented to help ensure the rules shown on that page are enforced and records better kept.

How will I know when I have broken a rule?

You will receive a private message from the staff member who initiated the infraction. The PM will state which post was offensive, will include a link to that post, and a brief message from the staff member giving the infraction. Once an infraction has been submitted, you will see a small red or yellow tag on the bottom left hand corner of the offending post. A yellow tag means that only a warning was issued (has no lasting effects), and a red tag means that a full infraction was issued (a penalty was assigned).

What happens to me if I do break a rule?

You will be monitored by the staff, and multiple infractions will lead to a reduction in posting privileges and could ultimately lead to your banning from Hypography.

What types of privileges might I lose?

If a user commits serious infractions, more than one within a given probation period, their username will become highlighted differently from others. These users will have their posting rights limited. They will be only be allowed to submit a post in the science discussion forums, and will be restricted from the community forum sections. Users in this state will loose other abilities such as private messaging, posting attachments and creating new threads, for example.

What is your process for banning a member based on infractions?

If a user has more than 5 active infractions at any given time, they will be banned from interacting with the forums for 3 days. Many times, emotions can run high and result in posts which stretch the rules, and this temporary ban is meant to give the user a time to cool down and compose their thoughts before posting again. Permanent ban is the last option, but will be enforced when necessary.

You mean I could be banned permanently from Hypography?

Yes, this was already the case, and is now also possible using the infractions system. However, please remember that we here at Hypography appreciate diverse ideas and opinions. Banning is not intended to be a method of cruelty or a way to ignore given social standards/contexts of the infraction. It is a way to keep the dialogue in our community beneficial to everyone.

What happens if I get too many infractions?

If a user accumulates enough infractions, they will no longer be able to see any forum except the Inner Conflict Resolution forum. This forum acts similar to a court, except it's specific to Hypography members and their posts. The Inner Conflict Resolution forum is where the administration can speak in private with the user(s) who have received multiple infractions, the motivation being to try and resolve problems outside the public spotlight. If a situation cannot be resolved to the staff's standards and expectations, then permanent banishment will result.

What if I was wrongly accused of a rule infraction?

First, this is very subjective, and we are not always competent to judge our own behaviors without bias. However, if you were given an infraction by accident, or you feel that it was undeserved, you can submit an appeal with any of the Administrators for the infraction to be reversed. Such appeals should only be sent to one Admin. That Admin will then take the appeal request to the other staff for discussion. All situations are discussed by the entire staff. This dialogue among the staff will help eliminate infractions based primarily on personality conflicts and should help minimize biases in their application.

In sum...

The infraction system is a tool that has been implemented to give users warnings if their posts are 1) against the rules, or 2) the user's behavior is deemed inappropriate. The infraction system does not remove the rights or privileges of the administration to punish or ban without assigning an infraction, but it does give another layer of information for them to use when making such decisions. Overall, it will improve and update the system previously in place.

If you have any comments or questions, feel free to post here. We will clarify when we can. Hopefuly, much of the above will never be a factor during your membership at Hypography, but we wanted to help you understand what we do and why, because we are all part of this community together. Thanks for your attention.