Science Forums

What are the best foods?

Rebiu

Well to me the logical idea of the ideal diet is that we should be eating what we evolved as cave men to eat. That is not to say some things havent been improved upon and dont have merit, but there are certainly things that are in our diet that is harmful. Firstly bread is really no good for you. Try this, dont eat any bread for a week or two and then go and have some - I know its not just me, for a lot of people it really screws with your digestion, same goes with cows milk. Anything with preservatives or added sugar should be avoided or kept to a minimum.

• 3 weeks later...
--

The only diet scientifically shown to promote longevity is a calorie restricted one (for humans around 1300 calories PD?) with added vitamin supplements

(in rats at least).

SEE

Dr. Walford & Caloric Restriction

I did a report on calorie restriction for one of my microbiology classes a long time ago. IIRC, calorie restriction initiates what's believed to be a "stress" or "survival" response, flipping on specific genes like Sir2/SIRT1, which seem to be connected to DNA repair and chromosome remodeling and stability (by working on histones) and help lengthen life span.

While performing CR, metabolism slows, core body temperature drops slightly, muscles shrink to conserve energy, sex drive goes down, immune protection goes up, memory improves, etc.

At a cellular level, there seem to be less free radicals produced and damage to mitochondria, other organelles, and cellular DNA is slowed. Basic cell division is also slowed, because of the lack of energy. (Which helps cells delay Hayflick's limit--the 40-50 divisions most differentiating/differentiated cells, if they can divide, eventually stop at. Once a cell nears the limit, it either enters senescence or dies. Stem cells are an exception to this.) Basically, the body cuts or reduces "unnecessary" processes and tries to concentrate on survival. These all seem to be great boons, until one realizes the costs associated with CR or CRAN--it limits your diet, it decreases muscle mass (unless you maintain it with exercise), and it can increase certain health risks such as heart arrhythmia due to weakening of the heart (from muscle loss).

I would rather live 80-90 years with some joy from my food (for how could I ignore Italian, French, or Asian food?), having lived and taken care of myself well, rather than delay the inevitable and live on nothing but broccoli, spinach, and carrots. I like my veggies but not enough to make them my sole foods. Also, live a little longer by cheating with the resveratrol from red wine. Live "la vita dolce."