Science Forums

You're cute, but halitotic

So I have a 9 and a half year old Italian Greyhound (his name is "Galiath", intentionally misspelled). He's (from my absolutely biased opinion) the best dog ever. He's been my bud through a lot of transformation, and simply being around him has taught me a lot about myself. He's a problem solver, and (like most pet owners) I am close to him.

So... he's got AWFUL breath. Greyhounds are known for plague problems, but dude makes my eyes water. He wants to lick/kiss me, and I won't let him because I think it will cause a skin reaction. The paint peels when he is near the wall... Plants wither when he sniffs them... Eyes water as his wagging tail self approaches it's so bad...

But, he's a good kid. I've clearly missed the boat on brushing his teeth. Really, don't want to be bothered with it. He's had three oral surgeries already, so I presume I'd have begun brushing his teeth already if I felt the effort was worth it.

My question is this: How can I stop him from scaring women away when they smell his pungent gingaroma?

Wait, no... that's not what I meant. ;)

Is there a way to make his teeth (and, probably more importantly, his gums) healthier without brushing? ;)

I'm such an ***, but there's a certain seriousness to my question. Cheers. :)

Milk Bones. Honest. They work!

Warning, they make more sedentary dogs fat fast, but with a greyhound and enough exercise for both of you, its probably fine.

Another tip: if the girl is a dog girl, she will tolerate your dogs breath when she won't tolerate yours. If its a cat girl, well, let's just say that unless you solve the problem you should not date cat girls....

Must love dogs,

Buffy

Sorry, I'll have to amend that. I just got off the phone with one of my friends who is a cat girl. She says that small dogs are okay, but she refuses to date guys with big dogs. Too scary.

What do I know. I like dogs.

Just two datapoints (heck, prolly outliers), but that should get you started....

He's sooo cuuuuuuute! The dog I mean,

Buffy

Actually, what do you feed him? Bad breath really is going to be mostly due to bacteria in the mouth (teeth and tongue), but can be affected by *what* you put into him: not from burping, but what aromatics make it all the way through his system...

As for miracle drugs, I must admit I'm stumped, because I've used Milk Bones for ever (and after a very fat Minature Pinscher, have stuck to athletic dogs that like to go jogging, like Australians)...

Good luck Mr. Phelps,

Buffy

D.D.S. Dental Breath tabs for dogs by Eight in One Pet Products.

1 to 3 tablets a day works for 24 hours. It contains Chlorophyll, natural mint, Oil of Rosemary, Parsley seed oil etc. It was a godsend for my 12 year old lab.

Makes for minty smelling burps too...a bonus with aging dogs. :)

Cheers!

If the truth was known, people that don't like dogs, don't particularly like people either. My dog has the best judge of character I've ever seen.

'parrently, wet dog food is the problem.

I had the same problem with a my dog, years ago. And according to my vet, all you have to do is feed him well-balanced dry crunchy stuff and water. Bones are a no-no, because splinters will get stuck between teeth and rot to the n'th degree (once again, according to the vet).

The crunchy 'pellets' and biscuits is a good abrasive, cleaning their teeth and solving your problem. And something like Alpo is perfectly balanced, so foodwise he'll be allright. Problem is to get him to eat it if his teeth hurts...

But also, my vet said that brushing is a pointless venture. Don't know why, though.

I think if he can eat bones, his teeth should be way more than strong enough for biscuits.

'parrently, wet dog food is the problem.

I had the same problem with a my dog, years ago. And according to my vet, all you have to do is feed him well-balanced dry crunchy stuff and water.

Problem is to get him to eat it if his teeth hurts...

Yes, exactly. What troubles me when I watch him eating the dry food is his tendency to just swallow it whole, unchewed. I was looking around his mouth this morning and noticed that he may be getting an infection. I am going to start him on an antibiotic to clear that up before it gets worse, but his breath issues clearly began long before any infection which may be there now. :sneeze:

D.D.S. Dental Breath tabs for dogs by Eight in One Pet Products.

1 to 3 tablets a day works for 24 hours. It contains Chlorophyll, natural mint, Oil of Rosemary, Parsley seed oil etc. It was a godsend for my 12 year old lab.

Makes for minty smelling burps too...a bonus with aging dogs. :)

Well thank you good lady. I will be certain to check this out, and appreciate your insight and guidance. :eek_big:

If the truth was known, people that don't like dogs, don't particularly like people either. My dog has the best judge of character I've ever seen.

That's worthy of going in the Quotes thread. :D

;)

Amen! Although I've always noticed that dogs are non-discriminatory: they like Cat People too, as long as they're nice people in general....

No matter how well any of these remedies work Now, I'd take care of that old dog of yours and put him ahead of everything else on your priority list (no matter how cute she is): it sure sounds like he's taken good care of you!

A good dog is worth his weight in gold,

Buffy

That was just an attempt at humor. "She" has been around for a while, and loves him almost as dearly as I do.
And a pathetic attempt at that! :eek_big: I'm glad to hear you both have your priorities straight!

Love me, love my dog,

Buffy

And a pathetic attempt at that! :evil:

Gosh... what are you? A talent scout for Last Comic Standing? That drew at least a few smiles, I'm sure. :D

My question is this: How can I stop him from scaring women away when they smell his pungent gingaroma?

Wait, no... that's not what I meant. :thanks:

Oddly enough, Galiath is how I met my GF a few years ago. I saw her walking in the park and said, "Go git 'er..." That's my boy. :dogwalk: