Science Forums

How to treat the mentally special.

ryan2006

First of all treat me like you would like to be treated. That is the best rule.

Then use clean humor to make me laugh. If you can make a compliment. Then see if you can use creativity to inspire me so I become well adjusted. This could be any form of education, journal writing, art work. When I am sick send a card to let you know you care or even a flower. A balloon works well. Let me have my own room. Don't invade my space. Do not use me. Do not abuse me. Things can trigger my mind such as bad things in my head. Use care not interogation. Ask if I am doing o.k today. But leave it at that. If I contribute something don't ridicule me if I can't communicate as well as a professional. Such as calling me names.

Schizophrenia is the worst name in the book as far as I am concerned. It makes you feel as if your dirt. I can only be confused about my own condition. Don't complicate it with theory. I am one person. Whole and free to be able to tell what is wrong with the mental health system. Do not inject your drugs that alter my mind. Do not tie me down to beds. Beat me up. Send me to county homes next to landfills and sewage plants. I am a conscious human being fully aware of what kindness is. Do not put me in a seclusion room. I refuse to believe that I am abnormal. I am not your lab rat. Study this closely and you may start your own hospital. Oh yeah, what is medical sciences studies say on malnutrition on America's social welfare system in the agricultural states?

First of all treat me like you would like to be treated. That is the best rule.

I am into bondage and humiliation. You really want me to treat you that way?

Then use clean humor to make me laugh.

A pig fell in a mudpuddle. Then he took a bath.

If you can make a compliment.

I like your font.

Then see if you can use creativity to inspire me so I become well adjusted.

OK, relax on the chiropractic table. Visualize the tension streaming out of your body, down your arms and dripping out your fingertips. Each time you exhale smoky tension leaves you making your body pure and relaxed. Now exhale and visualize... *lumbar adjustment*

This could be any form of education, journal writing, art work.

Read some good posts.

When I am sick send a card to let you know you care or even a flower. A balloon works well.

As a rule I rarely send a card. No offense.

Let me have my own room. Don't invade my space. Do not use me. Do not abuse me.

Things can trigger my mind such as bad things in my head. Use care not interogation. Ask if I am doing o.k today. But leave it at that. If I contribute something don't ridicule me if I can't communicate as well as a professional. Such as calling me names.

Schizophrenia is the worst name in the book as far as I am concerned. It makes you feel as if your dirt. I can only be confused about my own condition. Don't complicate it with theory. I am one person. Whole and free to be able to tell what is wrong with the mental health system. Do not inject your drugs that alter my mind. Do not tie me down to beds. Beat me up. Send me to county homes next to landfills and sewage plants. I am a conscious human being fully aware of what kindness is. Do not put me in a seclusion room. I refuse to believe that I am abnormal. I am not your lab rat. Study this closely and you may start your own hospital.

Scientists study. If you stay here people will try and figure you out. It cannot be avoided. Your mental health is not our responsibility. Some will be sensitive, others will not. If you cannot cope then leave. Don't use your needs to try and manipulate us with guilt.

Enjoy as you can.

Bill

Ryan, I am very sorry to hear of your mental issues. I truly am.

However, please take note that Hypography is not intended to be a home for mentally 'special' people - all posts and threads here are treated the same. As in 'does your post contain a point?' or 'is there anything specific you want to discuss'?

If you want to contribute something to science, you might perform a marvellous service as, indeed, a 'lab rat', for want of a better term - but then you must see your condition for what it is, and accept that the scientifically-bent minds here at Hypo would actually want to prod and pry your mind a bit; and you must actually be willing to contribute.

You know I am more than a man than some people may think. I understand that science likes to study. I study trees when I get out. I live on four dollars a day. Today I have a dollar and I am sitting here with a can of soup. This site posts things over the internet on google and yahoo about me that I write just look under Ryan Henningsgaard I was deeply involved in this site and had no problems whatsoever until Infinitenow told me not to be afraid of the enter key. So I paid attention to what the site was really about and I have been mostly offline since it's conception. When I went to college for art and psychology I went to the number five school in the United States. I am not trying to make anyone feel guilty I am simply saying can we make some drastic changes to the mental health system. Mental health issues range from the dog bit me to my brother was murdered. I am saying there is a need for a drastic change in how we treat people and understand them because for instance I have noticed that when I am taking a walk I feel connected to something. When I communicate with people it seems like I try to justify myself. I want to listen and speak but it is tricky I get carried away. I am sorry that I am online more now it is kind of a shock and I am seriously uncertain about how healthy it is for me. You probably don't feel guilty about someone who has cancer but you donate money to your own charities. The cost analysis of the burden of mental health is high I realize and I suspect it has something to do for the loss of hope that people can achieve. Poverty and mental illness are tied in together along with homelessness. No one will hire us. We don't have rights and I have been trying to do something about it. This is science. Not to study me per say but give me a chance so I can have a normal life. A job something anything. No one will hire us. It is like we have a social disease in the world and it is going to take a lot of work to get past yesterday and move forward so we can feed our children. Don't you understand that we are people too? This is the pefect chance to learn from me. You don't get this anywhere else. Mentally special people have been taught that there is something wrong with their minds well what if there actually was something right with their minds for once. If I am conditioned to eat cheese I will have a healthy diet. Just like If I am conditioned to believe that good things exist in me that is how you heal people. Healthy approaches. perhaps seclusion rooms need a bouncy room where you can feel like you can jump up and down and actually laugh it out.

How bout a mime?:offtopic: or how bout teaching people how to stand up for themselves and not taking the bull of people trying to peck at an already perfect mind. My neighbor says basically forget about it and move forward with your intrests oh yeah what about a scientific survey with three questions A Did the label cause you to be crazy or B Will you be fine C Would you rather I tell you a joke

The mentally special don't get the same respect in our culture that would get in say an old American Indian culture. Such people would have been spotted early and been given special training to be a witch doctor. They have an open door to the unconscious mind and the ancient training would allow them to channel this gift down constructive paths.

For example, someone who has a open connection to the unconscious mind sort of gets used to it. Most people don't experience such states except in extreme emotional circumstances, like deaths, divorce, etc.. The mentally special understand what they are going through and with special training can coach them through it.

This story is sort of analogous. Back in my youth many of my youth peers were experimenting with LSD. I stayed away from that crap but would hang and babysit. If someone began to flip out, the only ones who could successfully talk them down were others on LSD. A straight person was not on the same wavelength and was usually powerless to help other than call 911. Nowadays we medicate them over a long term instead of solve the problem in an hour or so.

No I'll tell you what they do to people that have drug problems. First they make a big deal about it then they kick you out of the house even if it is just a joint then they quarteen you like you have a social disease. Their theory about it cause schizophrenia is a bunch of hog wash. I think we ought to fight for the right to smoke dope. It seems I would like to have the right to smoke it so I don't feel a nuclear cloud taking off the flesh of my body. Besides I really need to learn how to relax. Willy Nelson wrote some of his best music smoking dope.

Smoking dope back in the 60's and 70's was a right of passage that most coming of agers would go through. It was part of an underground that was detached from the mainstream hoopla of current times. Many who smoked MJ at least once, like Bill Clinton, went on to become president. It is not always a terminal condition.

Once the witch hunt became faddish, the very same right of passage all of a sudden became something far worse. Reality didn't change, only the socially acceptable perception of reality changed. When culture gets skitso, thinking its is doing good, it may be better to run with the mainstream herd or it will run over you.

One of the problems with pot smoking is that it a way for some people to self medicate. For some, this one substance, replaces the gamete of legal precription drugs used to alter mood, hyperactivity and concentration. From an ecomonic point of view this is bad for the legal drug business.

• 1 month later...

I personally 'hate' people who sympathize with the ones with mild diseases.

Something like Bi-Polar does not deserve sympathy, it is not always even a bad thing, most of the people who have it only exhibit mania not depression, which basically means they are super-human during mania,which I would hardly consider a disease. During sports I wish I were manic, you don't feel as much and you seem to be un-human, almost like you just received a dose of epinephrine.

What is your definition of "mild"?

Something like Bi-Polar does not deserve sympathy, it is not always even a bad thing, most of the people who have it only exhibit mania not depression, which basically means they are super-human during mania,which I would hardly consider a disease. During sports I wish I were manic, you don't feel as much and you seem to be un-human, almost like you just received a dose of epinephrine.

Really? :) Do you have bipolar disorder? Have you studied a large enough sample to conclude that most sufferers only exhibit mania?

What is your definition of "mild"?

Mild as in, the are in normal classes, they can communicate, they can learn as quick or quicker than "normal" students, they can talk and play around, but sometimes they have outbursts because they cannot 'filter' out the noises of their surrounding environment.

Really? :hihi: Do you have bipolar disorder? Have you studied a large enough sample to conclude that most sufferers only exhibit mania?

Yes, I do.

I have been manic before, but never depressed, and I know it is not a bad thing, a lot of my friends wish they could be like me when I'm feeling "high".

When I first went to a psychiatrist 3 years ago he said between 60 and 68% of people with Bipolar do not suffer depressive episodes.

Even "mild" diseases can be debilitating. And ignorant, hateful attitudes aren't helpful.

You seem to glamorise bipolar disorder when, if fact, it is a very serious condition. Manic stages can be just as dangerous as depressive stages. Don't fool yourself into believing you are in control when you are manic, and don't think you won't ever get depressed.

Even "mild" diseases can be debilitating. And ignorant, hateful attitudes aren't helpful.

You seem to glamorise bipolar disorder when, if fact, it is a very serious condition. Manic stages can be just as dangerous as depressive stages. Don't fool yourself into believing you are in control when you are manic, and don't think you won't ever get depressed.

Do you have Bipolar disorder? I didn't think so. You have no clue about it except what you are told. Speaking from experience, and from knowing others with Bipolar aside from myself, it is not a disease, nor is it a bad syndrome. Everything that has came with the Bipolar package has been advantageous to me and my friends.

I won't ever get depressed, want to know why?

I am happy, I live a good life; Even the DSM-IV says depression is not needed to be Bipolar, because you're switching from normal to manic, two poles.

Also, I am in control when I am manic. I don't go crazy and buy Los Angeles or have sex with 300 women in one night, I am just hyper, I don't sleep, I work out much more, I even act nicer to people I do not like, I think faster and get work done sooner, I don't eat as much, and I have fun.

If you had no sense of mania, would you consider that a bad thing to have?