Science Forums

Thunderbird

I recently decided to ditch Outlook Express after our discussion about virus and spam problems a while back. I tried out Eudora but I had would have to pay to get a spamfilter so instead I installed Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 RC1 (Release Candidate 1).

And I must say I am positively impressed. The people behind Firefox are doing it again!

Download Thunderbird from http://www.mozilla.org/

Anyone else tried it yet? I think it is rather excellent.

Most if not all Mozilla products are excellent because there is a community of programmers behind it, i personally think that Mozilla is kicking Microsofts butt. I've hated Outlook ever since i first tried to use it, its so wrong for email, ugh... I've used The Bat (http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/) for a while, but sice i switched to Linux, Mutt is the way to go!

Noone should ever use microsoft products, with the only exception of OS for gaming. If i could edit the bible, i would write it in as a sin...(although i dont beleive in religion, i'd do it to help others)

Oh, THAT Thunderbird! :-)

I have used and promote Mozilla's built in e-mail client. Perhaps they are similar with Thunderbird being the e-mail portion of Mozilla stripped out for stand alone use? We suggest it for clients not tied to something like Outlook or Notes.

I use Calypso however for my actual e-mail. It is now freeware last I checked.

I have Thunderbird as well as Firefox and am beginning to use them more often as I acquire familiarity with them. I use Eudora Pro and was able to "import" all my email addresses into Thunderbird, but it presents them in a different format. Have to send myself a few test emails to see how the different formats work.

Found I didn't have the latest Thunderbird release (0.9) so downloaded 1.0 and installed it. The previous release didn't have the Junk Mail controls. It states it has an adaptive junk mail filter but one must mark both junk and non-junk mail for this process.

In Eudora I can print an email with or without the headers, but my first printout with Thunderbird printed the headers even though I was not displaying them. That wasted half a page. It might be in the header display options, will have to check that out.

At program startup, Eudora would automatically ask for every email account and automatically scan them for email at the set intervals. Thunderbird wants me to initiate each email account at startup rather than doing that automatically. That is either good or bad depending upon how one uses the accounts.

I was experimenting with different display formats and sent a test email to one of my other accounts. Before sending, a message stated the recipient wasn't marked for HTML. When setting up ones address book (in Properties), it has a box to that states,

Prefers to receive messages formatted as: [unknown] or [plain text] or

If it isn't marked as HTML all the fancy formatting gets reduced to plain text.

Much to learn about Thunderbird before one can use it effectively.

Which email programs actually notify the user that they may be sending email in text or HTML format?

In Eudora Pro, when you send formatted text it warns the sender that older email programs may not be able to display the format, but it doesn't say it is sending it in HTML format. I know whether emails I get are plain text or HTML format by simply right clicking my mouse on a message to see whether "source" is displayed, if not it is text only.

How many user know that when they select any text formatting that means it is being put into HTML format?

How many people look at the full headers to see what program was used to generate an email? I have several correspondents that use their university email and these seem to have the greatest program diversity. (User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02 (CK-PURDUE))

I use Thunderbird (recently changed from aol). It's the only email client ive ever used on my own computer. To be honest i never looked anywhere else. Never even attempted to set outlook up. I used firefox after FTs' comments and never looked back. Thunderbird was my obvious choice.

Since ive built a new computer ive tried to steer away from everything that's microsoft as well. I find it good fun! lol. Gaim instead of messenger as well, impressed i am! Still use XP, but it's new hd for linux at chrimpo!

ps. im geko - it wouldnt let me in you see, so created different account.

pps. Tormod - u can delete the old e address as it no longer exists i dont think, or wont for much longer anyway