Science Forums

Acupuncture

Tormod

Acupuncture has definite merit, so lets wait and see what they say... but I don't think for the time being that accupuncture can help with an achilles problem, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong. :eek:

I can't prove you wrong, but I am very happy to say that after 4 months of treatment, I am finally back on the road again.

I did not run at all from October 10. I had two test runs (ie very short ones) in the weeks before Christmas, with little success. The pain and inflammation came back at once.

During Christmas Week I ran 4 times, and felt quite good - but then I stopped to let my legs heal. In the beginning of January I felt too tough and ran a 5K...the day after that I figured I'd botched my healing completely.

But I am now able to run about 2 miles without any pain, and I do not have any pain in the following days either. So I am finally building up miles and stamina again.

Treatment was acupunture and massage every week for three months, then two sessions of acupunture with 2 weeks in between - which is what I'll keep doing for a few months.

I use Orudis anti-inflammatory ointment after every run, and I also use a herbal oil on my calves before and after exercise. I also stretch more than usual but with less strain on the muscles.

I feel confident that it's the combination of non-training/acupunture/massage and medications that has helped me get through this period. It might have worked without any of the above but in hindsight the point is of course that it has worked. :eek: