Science Forums

The Lord of the Flies

I need one sentence for each of these.

The Novel as a Whole

1. Discuss the character traits of Ralph and Jack.

2. Trace the development of the relationship between Ralph and Piggy.

3. Discuss the role of the Lord of the Flies as a "chracter" in the novel.

4. Discuss the character traits of Simon.

5. Discuss whether or not a successful society could be built if the leader possessed the combined traits of Ralph, Piggy, Jack, Simon, and even Roger.

6. Discuss the author's use of adult warfare beyond the island to develop the plot of the novel.

7. Discuss the cause of the conflict between Ralph and Jack, the results of that conflict, and how, or if , the conflict is resolved.

8. Trace the author's use of Piggy's glasses in the development of the plot.

9. Discuss the overall condition of the island at both the beginning and end of the novel. Explain how each portrayal of the setting reflects the mood of the situation.

10. Reread the author's description of the island near the end of Chapter One following Ralph's statement, "This belongs to us." Discuss the description of the overall setting as reflective both of the initial situation of the boys and as foreshadowing of the plot's outcome.

11. Discuss the theme of the novel. What message is Golding trying to convey to his readers?

12. Discuss the various examples of irony that occur in the novel, using specific examples.

13. Discuss the conch as a symbol.

14. Discuss the characters of the novel as symbols.

Guys, I really need help on this, If you guys help me, it won't be hard tomorrow to start doing my ruft draft for my essay paper I have to do.

Guys, I really need help on this, If you guys help me, it won't be hard tomorrow to start doing my ruft draft for my essay paper I have to do.

I hope that you have already started working on it :shrug:

I am reminded of an old proverb God helps those who help themselves.

Here are some helpful hints.

1. Search the web, Google, Yahoo what so ever. I am sure you will find some pages that contain the answers you need to submit.

2. Read the novel, even if it requires burning the midnight oil or missing your date! ;)

Wishing you luck and good sense. :doh:

Hallo Simon

I'm affraid this will end up very much like your essay on the Romans (where you got a rather bad mark). You may end up with a number of quotes (that is if you're lucky), which you paste together, which will not make an essay. It is like gathering some bricks, throwing them randomly on a heap and hoping you will end up with something like a wall !

And googling in order to find pieces for your essay is not a bright idea either : your teacher will know the sites better than you. If you tried it on me, you would get no mark at all, just the URLs of the sites you would be quoting.

It's a bit like Lord of the Rings... just rent the movies and you'll be fine if you tell them they had to throw insects into the fire...

You're getting negative responses here, Simon, because you seem to be asking questions without having done any of the work yourself. Our community is full of well educated individuals, most of whom would be glad to assist whenever possible, but we don't want to do your homework for you.

Bad question: I have a book report due tomorrow. Here are the 25 questions I need to answer. Please help.

Better question: In Lord of the Flies, I notice how the Simon character seems good, but what confuses me is how the author (Golding) presented his relationship to the others in the society. When he said.... What are your thoughts? I'm stuck!

See the difference? :)

Have you read the book?

To be fair, I have only read half of it, but I've seen films and a documentary on it and, in terms of plot, I think it is one of the best books ever written. I admit that techically before I start talking like an authority, I should read the full book. Nevertheless I will :hihi:. It's message was extremely contriversial in its day and is a grim prediction of the inherrant morality of man. Ralph and piggy represent a normal liberal democratic society and rules, whist Jack represents vile distatorship societies like the Nazis and the so called 'communist' societies. Piggy's glasses, which creates fire, represents technology and the use of fire represents the way it is or can be used depending on what type of society dominates.

I can't remember who Simon was but there was one character who was an extremely quiet and ancillary character, but when the right conditions arose after Jack's take over, he became the most brutal and tyranical people on the Island. Then you had the little kids who's loyalties lied with the popular group even though their sympathies lied with Ralph and Piggy.

And at the end you are made to consider what happens when those kids grow up and are put in charge of elite warplanes, tanks, armies and nuclear weapons rather than just Piggy's glasses and fire.

Oh and this thread should be moved someowhere other than the physical sciences homework forum.