Science Forums

VOTE: Tuesday, November 7, 2006

InfiniteNow

Its compusory to vote here in australia..

All eligible Australian citizens on the electoral roll are required to cast a vote in Federal and Commonwealth elections, unless they can provide a valid and sufficient reason for not voting, including:

It is part of the elector's religious duty to abstain from voting

The elector was not present in Australia on polling day

A belief that it is morally wrong to vote

Physical obstruction, either through sickness, outside prevention or natural events or accident.

Diversion to save life, prevent crime or assist in a disaster.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:6P-f0SUPq-EJ:www.ippr.org.uk/pressreleases/%3Fid%3D2083+compulsory+vote+in+australia+religious&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3

The [Gus Bilirakis for Congress] ad in question pictures two women, and correctly states the postion of Mrs. Busansky, along with the date that she took that position.
The add does not correctly state Busansky’s position. The position in question involved a proposal to ban a kind of bathing suit, both in public, and on private property that might be seen from a public thoroughfare. Full nudity, as implied by Bilrakis’s add, was not in question.

However, this is political speech, the most protected kind under US law. Nilrakis and Busansky can publicly accuse one another of fornicating with livestock, if they so chose. The natural check to such speech is that obviously false accusations will discredit the candidate making them, causing them to fail in their bid for election.

I find it regrettable that candidates – the large majority of them Republican – and their parties are so willing to use anti-science speech (such as the “weird science” add) in a bid to gain political advantage. Although this may be an effective strategy, it has the side effect of retarding the understanding of science, something that, IMHO, hurts the US and the world.

My state of Washington offers the option of registering under a Permanent Absentee status which in effect allows us to vote by mail from home.

And here in Oregon, you don't even have to register differently, we have nothing but vote by mail. (Though we do have a few polling places open on election day for those who just absolutely must vote in person.)

Today I realized I hadnt discussed the A.G. candidates with the kid. We have been discussing different races the last few weeks. I brought this up not long before we were heading out the door to vote (her second elections since becoming old enough to vote) and was pleased to find that the kid has a section in a notes binder that was dedicated to the different candidates. Here, all along the kid had been reading information about each candidate and had notes on their individual stands on the issues important to her. Kinda made me a bit proud.

At the resturant after voting we were enjoying our meals and finishing up to go. A lady who had been seated in a booth not far from us came over (a complete stranger) to comment on how happy she was to see all the "I voted" stickers on nearly everyone in the resturant and she wanted to tell these two youngsters (the kid and her boyfriend) she was glad to see they had taken the time to vote.

Little things like this really add to an already good day.

Well nows...I was up 'till 2 or 3 am watching political news and woke to an earthquake at 6:30am or so and have been watching since. I finally switched it off as no real results are in yet and I need to rest up for the evenings go-round. (it's 2:41 pm PST) Good thing my state offers the vote by mail option and so many choose it as 18 counties including my own here in Washington have been declared in a state of emergency due to heavy rains and the associated flooding. Best of luck to you all on your candidates and initiatives unless they aren't my choice. :edizzy: VOTE!!!!:hihi: (Oh yeah, I've started drinking, so cheers.):pirate:

You are all Losing your head.

You are all Little Boys, amooncts women.....You have no brains what so ever.

You think you can do anything but talk to each other about chite. the stuff the withers from your mouths and brains are like little thorns, while the roses smell of bliss as you breathe you smell from you pafectic mouth.

Are there any ladies at science forums that have something real to say wothout the corruption of proving something to men, well little boys, playing with toys, i guess boys will allways be boys....and girls will always know more,,,,because we kinow the score....

Men are imorel.....

Men are imorel.....

There is no gender specificity in morality, only biases in our own perception and understanding based on our experience with a tiny subset of that gender.

However, your post is not relevant to this thread, which was a reminder to citizens of the US to go out and vote. If you wish to open a dialogue on behavioral and intellectual differences resulting from genetically determined biological sex, please start another thread elsewhere to do so.